O N E | Worth Tugging an Eyelash For

SOPHIE'S POV

Everything started on a Thursday, when Magnate Leto called Sophie to his office. She was by her locker with Dex and Keefe when Magnate Leto approached her. 

"Ms. Foster? Can you follow me to my office please?" He turned around and headed to his office. 

Before she could leave though, Keefe said "Oooh, Foster's in trouble! What do you think they'll do to her eh Dexy?" 

"I'm not in trouble- I think- and no one's gonna do anything to me!" Sophie clarified. Inside, she was kind of nervous but there was no way she was admitting that to Keefe. She turned around and left, hearing the giggles of Dex and Keefe as she did. 

She followed Magnate Leto, entering the office and closing the door behind her as she was commanded. She tugged an eyelash -a nervous habit she had had all her life. 

"Now, you might be wondering what you were called her for," Indeed she did. She wondered if he had news on the Neverseen. Last time The Black Swan fought the Neverseen they had escaped -as always- but this time they were wounded. This time, they lost something too valuable for them. Vespera. It was teamwork, Biana had already fought Vespera once so she knew her moves. Sophie had insisted that it wasn't worth reviving her nightmares, but having Biana helped a lot. Long story short between all of them they got her knocked out for enough time to get her to prison. A prison way trickier than Lumenaria, where no one would ever find her again. The Council said they'd take care of her from there, but Mr. Forkle and the rest of The Collective had promised to keep Sophie posted if anything happened. 

"I've got news about The Neverseen," Magnate Leto left the news clinging in the air, to let Sophie take them in. He knew about The Neverseen! Sophie wasn't sure if she wanted to jump up and down or barf all over the floor. 

"We have been investigating where they went exactly, since their headquarters have been compromised," He continued, and it was true. The one and only place they knew they could always count on, had been discovered. Turns out, Tam knew how to track places down with his shadows. Places he had been on. Sophie didn't quite understand it herself, but she didn't need to. They found their hideouts and made sure they knew The Black Swan had discovered them. They had nowhere to go  and still, they found a way to hide. Sophie wanted to sigh until she ran out of air but then remembered she had to focus on her conversation with Magnate Leto. 

"Did you find out?" Sophie asked eagerly. 

"Yes, and no," Was this another one of his riddles? It was really not the time -or the mood in Sophie's case- for using riddles. "We tracked them all over the Lost Cities and couldn't find them, which was strange since all of their hideouts had been compromised,"

"What if they didn't take Tam to their most important ones? What if they still have some left?" Sophie asked terrified. 

"That's what you'd think before looking at this-" Magnate Leto showed her a picture, a very interesting picture. It showed three black hooded figures, but not in the Lost Cities, but in the Forbidden Cities. Two of the figures were holding one in the center, who looked like they couldn't walk; wounded.
 Sophie remember that in their last battle, Keefe threw a goblin star at Gethen. He moved but the goblin star hit Gethen's thigh making a whole lot of blood come out. That's when Lady Gisela realized Gethen was probably going to die from not having enough blood if they didn't get out of there. Ruy was with them strangely, but he seemed powerless, different from every time they had fought him. Still, Lady Gisela took him and before they could blink, the lights when out and when they came back up they were gone. 
It had been two weeks since that had happened and this was the first news they got. And gosh they were big news. Lady Gisela, Gethen and Ruy were in the Forbidden Cities! But where?

"Do you know where they went exactly?" Sophie sat on her hands for preventing any tugging action to happen. 

"No, this picture was taken in London, but they're too smart to stay in one place. This is where you come in. We want you to mentor here at Foxfire," What?! What did that have to do with anything?! Why would mentoring some kids at some school help catch the Neverseen?! 

"Wh-why-what?" Sophie was extremely confused. She didn't even know what question to ask. 

"Alright Ms. Foster calm down, we need you to teach human culture," Sophie still didn't know how that could help. She wanted to help though, but how would teaching human culture help with The Black Swan's plan? Sophie could do so much better than mentoring at Foxfire, she was The Moonlark for crying out loud!

"With The Council preparing for making a treaty with the humans and The Neverseen in the human cities, the most logical thing would be to teach our prodigies about humans. It should've been done years ago, it's incredible how ignorant our prodigies can be when it comes to other species, much less humans!"Magnate Leto explained, making a short pause before continuing. "Since you lived with humans for so long we thought you might be the most qualified person. I've already talked to The Council and they agree we should be more informed about humans,"

Sophie was speechless. She didn't know what to say exactly. Should she be flattered? Nervous? What if she wasn't good for the job? Sure enough she lived with humans but that didn't mean she could teach about them. Who said she was good at teaching? What if she got frustrated and yelled at the prodigies and her friends? No way they would ever forgive her. 
She decided this was worth tugging an eyelash for. 

"You don't have to answer right away, you can discuss it with your family and friends, but we would like to get an answer by the end of the week if it's possible. Thanks in advance," Magnate Leto concluded. He didn't expect her to say anything, he knew she was shocked enough. He dismissed her with a hand gesture and Sophie gave him a bewildered smile. 

"Close the door on the way out," He said, and with that she left. 

Hiii friends!

It's been forever since I updated this but hey, you got this one now! I'll try to update as regularly as I can but be warned I get writer's blocks all the time. If you found any typos in this chapter it's because I didn't spell check it since I was eager to post it, but maybe I'll post it again once it's edited. 

With love and croissants

Biana :)