Chapter - 17

Authors Note:

Hi Lovelies,

Usually I share my thoughts at the end of the chapter but I want to apologise first for the long wait. I am so so sorry. COVID 19 has been hard on everyone and I was not handling the fallout well. We are still in the middle of the pandemic and the uncertainty makes me more and more stressed everyday unable to bring my thoughts to words. But finally after 3 attempts I feel like I got this chapter right. It's an intense chapter and quiet a long one so please forgive my delay. Also please forgive any spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, I wanted to post it as soon as possible so I didn't proof read. Please vote and comment. I love hearing your thoughts. It inspires me to write better.

Love you all
KillJob

Colette

2 years 3 months and 13 days...

That's how long it's taken to get justice and some justice it is. After the district attorney's office giving every reason in the book for the delay while I wondered why the hell it was taking so long for my case to come to court, only a few weeks back, I was informed that Father had cut a delay with the DA for a reduced sentence in exchange for giving evidence to imprison a notorious drug cartel.

7 years. 84 months. That's the punishment Father is receiving for all the abuse and torture he put me through. The absurdity of conviction has made me loss faith in the system all over gain. I understand the importance of imprisoning some drug lord but what about me. What about all the years of unjust I suffered. What happens when Father is released from the prison in less than 5 years since he has already served more than 2 years of this sentence. What happens to me then? What if he wants revenge? Who will protect me from a billionaire who can easily pay for a car to run over me or arrange a meth head to shoot me dead? Should I live in hiding my entire life? What kind of justice is this? And Why? Why should I live in fear? Why does it feel like I am the one being punished in the end?

I feel more and more frustrated as we near Boston where the formal court sentencing will be happening tomorrow even though I already know the outcome. I didn't want to be there or see that monster but my therapist advised me to go so I could get some closure. But I won't hold my breath. I know Father well and he has or will ever have any remorse for hurting and abusing me. If anything
I expect him to smirk in triumph for such a meager sentence.

As soon as I start to chew my finger nails in anger and stress, Naomi swats my hand away.
"Hey, don't worry about tomorrow. We are there with you", she says eyeing Jessica in the rear view mirror. After hearing about the sentencing she was more upset than I was and cursed everyone from the DA to the lawmakers. She wanted to campaign against the sentencing and demand justice. She was not alone. Even Zach had tweeted about the unfairness of the sentencing which attracted so much attending in social media and for a little while a hope arose that I could appeal or something. But soon realised that nothing can be done. A deal was made to catch a bigger fish and I was the collateral. All I could do now is accept defeat and find a hole to hide in forever.

I take a deep breath to accept my doomed fate and muster a small smile to reassure Naomi and Jessica. Soon Jessica pulls in front of an high end hotel.

"We are staying here?", I ask doubtfully.

"Yes. Thanks to Zoya who is sponsoring her stay", Jessica says shrugging nonchalantly.

I don't get Zoya at all. After the talk I had nearly 2 and 1/2 years also I didn't expect her to help me out so much. Not only has she been paying for my stay with Jessica and family, she also paid for my rehab and later for the therapy sessions. I don't understand her intentions at all. Is she being nice or paying me off to stay away from her brother? After all these years I don't think she needs to worry about me and Zach. Zach's popularity has grown exponentially and there is literally no chance for me when gorgeous actress, models and celebrities are flocking to him. I feel a pang of pain at the prospect of my terrible luck that once again alienated me from someone I love.