"catalyst"

chapter three
minho

Rain is falling outside, the sky a haze of silver. I'm ready to stay inside, waste the day away playing video games. Or, at least, look like I am. I'm sitting on the floor, laptop open on the coffee table in front of me.

"I'm not asking the clouds to go away, just to stop raining." Jisung adjusts his visor, looking out the window. "What a fucking place to be a gardener."

"Your love nourishes the flowers."

"Compost helps. You waiting for Felix?"

"Mm."

"I still don't know why you sit on the floor. The couch is right behind you."

"It's a part of my process." I put my headset on. "Also it's better for the lumbar."

A text lights up my screen. 'We need to talk.' I reply with a less ominous 'Sir i'm just here for material.'

Jisung bends down, holds my mic out of the way so he can kiss me. "I'll be outside."

"God speed."

He steps out and closes the door behind him. The computer chimes and I accept Felix's call. His face is flat and serious — completely still, for a second I think the screen has frozen. The view behind him is just a single chair and a sun-burnt field out the window.

"Hell've you been up to?" he says.

"I got a new skin, what do you think?"

"That's not what I'm talking about."

I stretch to peek out the window. Jisung is hunkered over a bed of begonias on the far side of the yard. I enter the game and let it play while I speak.

"Is anyone else there?"

"No, they're out in the fields."

"Have you seen the future change?"

"It's shifted. You made a decision a few days ago. Minho, what's going on?"

"The whole thing with the Volturi... I can't take it anymore. I want a new plan, any plan at all. I have an idea, but I know Jisung won't like it, and neither will you."

"What is it?"

"I wanna get it over with. I wanna go to Volterra and confess."

It looks like the screen is frozen again. I tap the camera.

"You're fucking serious?" Felix spits. "Tell me you're taking the piss."

"I don't want to be on defence anymore, I wanna make things happen instead of waiting for them to happen on their own."

"Why are you telling me?"

"Because I want you to help me. You're my best friend, you're good at getting shit done, and I can't do it on my own."

"Why aren't you doing this with Jisung?"

"Because... Jisung, he shouldn't have to be a part of this. His life is so full." I look out the window again. "He needs to take care of his flowers. They'll die without him."

"You realize he'd have a full-blown meltdown if he knew what you're thinking?"

"I'm aware."

Felix rubs his eyes between his fingers. "Okay okay okay, gimme your plan."

"I'll suggest we visit you guys, then you and I make up an excuse to leave — surprise trip to a volcano or a space station or something. We'll go to the Volturi and I'll, very humbly, confess myself, then it's up to them."