"condemned"

chapter nine
jisung

The cloaked guards open their doors and let us in. Haseong is in the lead, his thoughts single-minded and methodical. Hyunjin and Jeongin are holding hands, clinging to each other. Chan and Changbin left us before we entered the city.

I'm shaking. I can't tell if it's because I'm terrified or angry or an explosive mix of both. I've been privileged, hiding away in our little cabin where the outside world didn't exist. Now, facing the world, facing our fears — like a coward, all I want to do is go home.

The guards lead us through the underground passages. I hear voices from all around, faint and echoed. I don't know if they're internal or spoken aloud. The tunnel comes to an end and the guards lever a door open.

Haseong hangs back and holds my arm. Don't do anything reckless.

The door slides open to a lavish hallway. I see the throne room.

Our eyes meet.

Oh my God. He's alive.

"Minho!"

I jerk out of Haseong's grip. Within a second I'm in Minho's arms, my breath harsh and heavy, tears spilling down my cheeks. He holds me tight, telling me to breathe.

"H-how could you do this," I stutter, "how c-could you leave me behind?"

"I didn't want you involved, I wanted to fix this without putting you in danger—"

Felix interrupts. "Minho, pay attention."

Aro is watching us with amusement. "It's quite all right. Precocious Han Jisung has found his mate, I see." His eyes move to Haseong's. "Mr. Bak. I can't help but notice, you're alone with your wards. Wherever has your partner gone — and your empath, for that matter?"

"They're unable to make it but they send their regards. I'm don't know what's been discussed so far, but my wards came here with pure intentions, to confess their wrongdoings and negotiate a fair punishment. I'm sure you will grant them as much."

"Certainly." He gets up from his seat to pace the table, running his fingers along the wood. "You see, your newest member revealed some intriguing information. I assume you've been made aware of the situation."

"I have."

Aro simpers, gives Haseong a disapproving wag of his finger. "This is a serious crime. Right now there are humans walking free, unregulated, with our secret on their tongues."

"They won't say a word." I speak directly to Aro. "There isn't a doubt in my mind."

"Unfortunately, we cannot verify that. You can only read the present. I can only see what's passed. Felix can only see what's premeditated. Vampires, like humans, are fallible, which is why we can never be too safe, and we can never let any loose ends dangle unattended."

"You've seen my gift," Minho says. "I'm willing to serve the Volturi if you can guarantee our lives."

Aro's head tilts. "There's a fine line between an offer and a bribe, Mr. Lee."

"It's a proposal. We can negotiate a sentence, I can pay off my... crimes."

"I've been alive over a millennium and no one has ever suggested a deal."

"Then think of me as a pilot project."

Aro's tongue slides across his teeth like he's just caught the scent of fresh blood.

"I have to admit..." He walks the length of the table, steps out with his fingers intertwined. "I'm persistently humbled and awed by the talent Mr. Bak and Dr. Bang seemed to attract. Mind reading, strength, precognition, empathy — and now psychic electric shock! How wondrous, wouldn't you agree?

"But — as we've learned before with the... intrepid nomad Ngai Fei, who possessed an understated yet powerful gift of persuasion — those who lay claim to power tend to be predisposed to challenging the systems that keep them in check. And so much unadulterated power in a single coven, uncontrolled... perhaps we've been fools all along, for letting it go on."

"Aro, what are you saying?" Haseong speaks up.

"I'm saying that, perhaps, the Volturi need to... update our regulations to better reflect the times. There are so many individuals and covens to keep track of nowadays — we're overwhelmed! Meanwhile, young and gifted vampires gallivant around the world, ignoring laws and causing trouble. Even ancient covens, ones we've been keeping a weather eye on, break our rules. Knowingly. Irresponsibly." His eyes narrow into slits. "I won't let it go uncorrected."

"Uncorrected?" Minho spits. "How can you be sure I'm guilty? You haven't even touched me — you haven't read my mind!"

"Is that necessary?"

"Aro, your willingness to negate your own protocol is being made very clear," Haseong says.

"Watch what you say, Mr. Bak." He flutters his hands dismissively. "If you so insist."

He steps delicately down from the platform. Minho moves in front of me, protective. Aro reaches for his hand and Minho gives it to him.

His whited eyes wander and his mouth spreads in a smile. The room is quiet, hanging on a thread.

A new voice enters my mind. I'm gonna make you proud. Felix?

Aro unfreezes with a chuckle. His eyes wander over Minho's face, down to his hand. Aro runs his thumb over his wedding ring and Minho pulls his hand away.

"As I suspected." He shakes his head sadly. "You put on quite a show. I am at a loss of what to do, I sincerely hate to burn bridges. I've committed my life to doing what is right and just, not for myself, but for the betterment of all vampires, covens and the Volturi. I've seen the truth.

"You, Lee Minho," he says brightly, "are sentenced to death."