Different Yet the Same

"Hey, Wes, where you going?" Alex questioned, following her brother as he walked to the study. "Dad'll be here any second for family game night! And we're playing Twilight Princess; your favorite!"

"Thanks, but... I'll pass," the young man argued, shrugging as he lifted the head of the bust and pressed a button to open the elevator to the Batcave. "I got plans at the cave."

"Plans like what; brooding and avoiding Dad in hopes that he'll screw up so you can ditch him?" She said bluntly, crossing her arms and glaring. "We caused him enough heartache when we ran off the first time, Wes!"

"I'm not gonna be here when he inevitably disappoints you," Wes said simply. "And he will disappoint you, one way or another."

Without saying another word, the raven entered the Batcave, and teleported via zeta tube. After his molecules reassembled on the other side, he sighed softly, stretching a bit before deciding to look around, sliding his fake glasses on.

"Oh, Bronze Bat; I wasn't expecting you!" Miss Martian exclaimed from the kitchen, elbow-deep in a mixing bowl of what looked like bread dough. "Are you staying for dinner?"

"I already ate, but thanks for the offer," Wesley said quietly.

"Oh, well, Superboy is watching static in the living room right now if you wanna join him! We... couldn't figure out how to fix the TV," the martian explained sheepishly. "I don't think he minds though; I think it's easier on his super-hearing than actual television."

"Well, if that's the case, I could set up a few music channels," the raven said simply. "Heck, I can think of a few video games he'd like, too."

"Okay, you guys have fun. If you decide you're hungry, there'll be plenty of food for dinner," she reassured, and Wesley returned the gesture with a mock-salute, smirking as he walked to the living room.

Upon seeing the clone watching static, he paused for a moment. He'd thought M'gann was joking, but apparently not.

"You want that fixed?" he offered.

"No," Superboy said simply.

"... Wanna play a game where you can punch Superman in the face?

"... I'm listening."

Two Hours Later

"How's it- why are there three broken controllers on the couch? M'gann asked cautiously.

"Simple version? Supes and I are enjoying some much needed therapy. It's a game where you fight as various superheroes, and you can choose your opponents too. Supes didn't care about who he got to play as; he just wanted to beat up Superman," Wesley smirked with a chuckle. "I get the feeling though; I enjoy beating up Batman in this game because it makes for some really effective therapy."

"You know... you and Superboy are a lot alike.

Wesley raised a brow, Superboy doing the same as he paused the game. "How so?"

"Well, you both have parental issues for one thing."

"Supes doesn't need Superman. Trust me, parents just disappoint you in the end," Wesley said bluntly. "I know that better than most."

"But, from what I heard, he was looking for you the whole-" Miss Martian was cut off when Wesley scoffed.

"Looking for me and Beyond the whole time? Yeah, sure. We ran away when we were nine, M'gann. We didn't know a thing about avoiding cameras or any of that bullshit; just packed up some clothes and food and ran out the front door when our caretaker wasn't looking. If he'd really wanted to find us, it wouldn't have been hard," the raven said bluntly, taking his turn to beat up the game version of Batman. "I just... I don't want to be around when he inevitably disappoints my sister."

"Wait... wasn't Ana supposed to be back from the woods by now?" Superboy questioned.

Miss M's eyes went wide. "She was supposed to be back half an hour ago!"

... Well fuck.

~*~

"When I'm done with you, you won't be able to see out of both eyes!" A gorgon yelled as Ana laid on the ground reading.

"Congratulations; you're as effective as pollen," the brunette said simply, flipping to another page.

"I mean I'm gonna make you feel pain!"

"Dairy already does that; next," Ana said, still displeased about her dairy intolerance.

"Uh, you won't be able to think straight!"

"Ha! Try having ADHD!"

"I'm gonna bash your head into a wall!"

"I already do that to myself; c'mon, be creative!"

"I'm gonna make ypu wanna die!"

"I'm a part of Gen-Z; you're late to the party!"

"WHAT INTIMIDATES YOU?!"

"EIGHTH GRADERS!"

~*~

"Knowing Ana, she's probably turning herslef into a real-life meme," Wesley said honestly. "She was kinda famous for it back at summer camp."

"Oh, well... Still, if not for your Dad... shouldn't you at least try for Beyond?" M'gann questioned gently. "She's your sister; she's gotta be worried about you."

"... For my sister, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it."

~*~

I'm still not satisfied with how this chapter came out, but I had to get it out of the way so that I could move on to other things.

SOOOOOO, little sidenote... there's a criminally underrated Batman villain that I remember most vividly from Batman the Animated Series that I really want to use in this, but I'm not quite sure how to implement her, so...

Who has ideas for how I can use Baby Doll in this story?