Chapter 22: I Don't Like It When People Trespass My Territory

"Aw, isn't that cute."

I smiled at Gwen as I folded the small piece of paper attached to the bouquet of roses which was waiting for me in my locker. It was from Zach, obviously.

"I know," I replied, still smiling.

Zach has been very sweet lately, surprising me with cute gestures like this. Unlike the past few weeks, we've been spending a lot of time together, in between classes and his basketball practice. Sometimes, he would ask me out for dinner and a movie, or sometimes we would just hang out in my house doing nothing.

"It's my way of making up to you," were his exact words.

"Well, good thing he's made up his mind. That guy has been such a dick bailing out on you all the time," Gwen huffed.

"Cut him some slack," I said in Zach's defense. "I'd admit I've been upset with him for being very busy all the time but at least he's finally trying to make some effort despite his busy schedule."

"Yeah, credits to him for that," she said. "But Carli, he's your boyfriend. That's part of the job description."

Sighing, I responded, "I know, I know. I guess I'll just have to take what I can get."

"Well, aren't you very devoted?" she teased.

"Well," I said. "In this relationship, someone's got to play that part."

"Did you like the flowers?" Zach asked, smiling.

The two of us were walking towards the school gym where the varsity team will be having their practice. Gwen and I agreed to watch, but she's already gone ahead of me, with Ken to keep her company.

"Yes, I loved them," I answered, grinning at him. "You're really sweet."

"Nah," he replied, squeezing my hand. "I'd send you a million flowers if I have to. That's how special you are."

I chuckled. "Could've fooled me."

"But I'm serious!" he protested.

"So am I!"

We were both laughing until we reached the locker room. "I'll wait for you here," I told him.

Before he went inside to change, he pulled me closer and planted a kiss on my temple. "Okay, I'll be very quick."

I leaned against the wall as I waited for him. A few seconds later, Dave, also a varsity player, walked out of the door. "Hey," he said to me. "Carli, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, you got it right."

He smiled, revealing cute dimples. "So, what are you doing here?"

"Just waiting for Zach," I answered casually.

"Oh yeah," he said. "Zach's girlfriend, almost forgot. That's a shame because I'm really crushing on you."

His straightforwardness made me flush a bright crimson red."Uh, thanks?" I said, unable to formulate a more sensible response.

"Now I see why Hayden's got it bad," he said, smirking at me.

Overwrought with confusion as to why he randomly mentioned Chase, I asked, "What do you mean?"

"Wow, you're the most clueless person ever." He laughed. "But hot, nonetheless."

I blushed again. "You're confusing me." He really was.

"Let's just say it's better that way. Just go figure it out by yourself." At that, he turned his back and walked away, leaving me in a jumble of questions.