Chapter 24: Of Heartbreaks and Revelations

I know all of you want to kill me for leaving you with a cliffhanger so here it is. Enjoy!

Chapter 24: Of Heartbreaks and Revelations

"Carli? Why are you crying?"

Still sniffling, I hastily wiped away my tears and turned to Chase, a forced smile on my face.

"I-I'm not," I answered shakily and turned my back on him. But before I could run, he grabbed my arm, forcing me to face him.

"Carli. I could clearly see that you're crying, don't lie to me. What's wrong? Why are you crying?" He asked me again, his voice firm and unyielding. I glanced at him and saw that his green eyes were so full of concern, almost thoughtful, caring.

It almost made me laugh how ironic the situation was. Zach, who was supposed to be asking that question, was out there, happily cheating on me with that jerk Sarah. And Chase, Chase freaking Hayden whose only purpose in life is to annoy the hell out of me was actually here, caring and concerned. I'm inclined to believe that all of this is a joke.

I mean, Zach is the sweetest guy I know. He couldn't possibly do anything to hurt me, right? Maybe I just misheard... or maybe this fucking loud music is just messing with my head... I need to go back there and find Zach. He told me he would never hurt me. He fucking promised! And I trusted him. He would never break my heart. He loves me! He would never cheat on me. He -

A sudden cry escaped my lips. I didn't realize I was already crying. In front of Chase Hayden! The most infuriating douchebag on the planet. The most arrogant guy I've ever met, the only person on Earth who could annoy me intensely, the guy who I would've never expect to be here with me in this moment of my life...

"Carli," he whispered softly, stroking my back as my tears fell down my face. My shoulders were shaking, my knees were wobbling, and hadn't it be for his strong grip, I might've fallen down already. "It sucks to see you like this. Tell me, why are you crying?"

I shook my head, not wanting to speak.

Chase sighed. "Okay, let's go find someplace quiet." He led me to an empty room and I immediately slumped down on the floor once we were there. I curled my legs into a crouching position and buried my face in my knees so he couldn't see me sobbing. I know I looked like a mess but I couldn't even care less. And besides, it was just Chase. He doesn't care if I look terrible, he sees me everyday looking much uglier.

"Hey," he spoke again. His voice was gentle. "I don't know how to comfort a crying girl because I've never been in this situation before but I'll try my best, okay? I hope I don't suck at this..."

I glanced up and almost laughed when I saw how uneasy he looked. He was kneeling before me and it made him look awkward because he was  so tall and he had to crouch.

The school's ringleader failing at comforting a girl - the situation would've been very hilarious hadn't it be for the fact that I was the girl.

"Have you ever felt so confident and good about yourself only to have that feeling shattered by someone you truly care about?" I asked him, my voice still shaky.

He just looked at me, his face blank, so I continued. "I-I thought we were okay. More than okay, actually. He seemed perfectly happy with me. We didn't have any major fights and he never showed it through his actions that he was never truly in love with me."

I paused to wipe away my tears. "I was so stupid for thinking that someone as perfect as him would ever love me for what I truly am, a freaking nobody, and not just because I resembled his first love. It just hurts to think that my first love would ever do this to me. I never expected things to turn out this way..."