The Battle Continues

Outside of Station Square, Rouge and Shadow continued to destroy the massive robot army, or at least attempted to. As soon as the stationary robots had sensed they were under attack, reinforcements had arrived to stop them.
Luckily for the duo, reinforcement for them had arrived as well. Scattered G.U.N. agents and members of the Station Square Police Force had joined the scuffle, using their own weapons and technology to retaliate against Eggman's robots.
"Look at the bright side," Rouge said to Shadow between heavy, exhausted breaths. "At least they're not attacking us." Considering what Shadow had done, she was genuinely surprised she was not dodging bullets from her fellow agents.
Shadow landed from an attack, his back directly to Rouge's. "They must be desperate for help." With G.U.N. communications down completely, there was no way any orders could have been issued. The agents must have taken it upon themselves to stop Eggman. "I'm not complaining."
The two split up once more and launched themselves forward into an attack. As they progressed from robot to robot, Rouge saw Shadow motioning towards the sky. Jumping off her latest destroyed enemy, she grabbed Shadow's outstretched arm and spread her wings, flying upwards.
Landing on a nearby rooftop, Rouge let go of Shadow's arm before dropping herself into a crouch on the building.
"What's the plan, boss?" she asked as she dusted her boots off.
"The police and G.U.N. can handle those robots. We need to stop the rest of the platoons from destroying the city. Where is the next closest attack?"
An explosion was suddenly felt as parts of the street flew up from the ground directly besides the building they were perched on.
"Well, that looks like it came from the subway," Rouge said as she looked over the edge of the building to see the smoke rising from the cavern that had opened up after the explosion.
Another explosion farther off caught her attention as people ran screaming in the opposite direction.
"Look at that, I'm sure that's Twinkle Park." Another explosion.
"And look over there, I think that's the train station. Take your pick."
Shadow growled in frustration. "We can't win like this. We can't stop these robots alone, and that's only considering the robots in Station Square! Eggman has been planning this attack for months, who knows how many there are around the planet?!" The ebony hedgehog paced around the rooftop for a few moments, thinking the situation over.
"What should we do?" he asked his former girlfriend, unable to come up with an answer to the problem himself.
"Well..." Rouge began, knowing Shadow would most likely not approve of her solution. "The robots are all receiving their orders from one place. If we shut that place down, the robots should all stop." Reaching into her pocket, she removed a small device.
Shadow looked at the small, metal device, knowing exactly what it was. It was the detonator for the generator they had given Eggman from G.U.N. The one that would blow the ARK right out of the sky.
"No!" he shouted loudly and suddenly, causing Rouge to flinch.
"I'm sorry," he quickly apologized, not intending to take it out on his partner. "I just don't think we should be taking drastic measures just yet."
Sonic was still up on the ARK. Rouge knew Shadow would give anything not to lose him. She watched as Shadow stopped his pacing and simply observed the destruction of the city.
"Do you think any less of me?" the ebony hedgehog asked softly. "Do you think I'm evil for choosing my own family over the lives of billions of people?" Maybe what the previous G.U.N. commander had said about him was true. He had the blood of Black Doom flowing through his veins; maybe he really was a monster. His eyes got shinier, as if he was on the verge of tears. "Do you think I'm a monster?"
Rouge was certainly surprised by the question and the fact that Shadow looked like he might cry. Since when was Shadow so concerned about what others thought?
"Shadow, I've told you that I'd follow you to the end of the world and I meant it. You're my most trusted friend. If you decide to let Eggman take over this planet, then I'll hold to my word." She approached him and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. "Whatever choice you make, I'll be right behind you."
Shadow sighed. "Let's keep going for now. We know Eggman is somewhere here in the city. If we can find him, we may have a chance at stopping his plans completely. Let G.U.N. and the police handle the robots for now."