⋆𝒷𝑒𝓁𝒾𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇⋆

Months had gone by, many painful months. Months of doing whatever it took to survive, eating scraps she found; eating cockroaches, canned food and even old scraps of food she found hidden under metal canisters. Not much had survived the apocalypse and as far as Y/N could tell, she was the only person left alive. After the initial shock had passed after coming up to the surface and seeing the world, her world, destroyed- she knew that she would have to start playing out every move carefully. There wasn't too much food left around the place and it was only a matter of time before she'd cleared the entire place out.

She'd managed to build a shelter, with a tin-sheet she'd found and a few bricks left around the place. Not that she really needed a shelter, the post-apocalyptic future she was living in didn't exactly rain too much. And there weren't exactly any creatures coming up to attack her in the middle of the night because they'd all been killed too. She was fairly proud of the shelter she'd built. She thought that any survival expert from the TV shows she used to watch would be extremely proud of her. And, therefore, when the time came to needing to leave the shelter to find some more food- she felt sad, as though she was leaving home. 

Being alone for months had taken a toll on her mind, sometimes she'd think that she was seeing people walking around and down the pile of rocks that used to be a road. But nobody was there, it was just her little method of keeping herself sane. She picked up the few tools that she'd gathered and wrapped them up in the burned-up blanket she often wrapped herself in to keep herself warm at night- and then she headed south. She followed along the structure that had used to be a road, watching the people in her imagination walk alongside her.

Her powers had definitely come in useful during her new life. Starting fires to heat up some food for herself was easy, she could keep a flame burning for days if she wanted to. She'd had the powers for as long as she could remember, which wasn't that long, really. 

She could only really think as far as being ten years old, before that was just a big blur. She felt as if her whole life had just been some big experiment, a failed experiment. After all, there she was, walking down a post-apocalyptic street in search of a new fallen supermarket to feed off from. A breeze blew passed her face, sending her hair flowing along with it. She focused in on the small draft of wind and flicked her fingers over in the direction of a pile of rocks- watching with satisfaction as they came tumbling down. It was something to do, something to keep her somewhat entertained as she walked down the road.

And as she focused in on the distance, the blurred horizon, came a black dot. How far away was it? Probably about a mile or so, she could see pretty well. Maybe it was a vending machine that had managed to survive and was sitting up in the distance- ready for Y/N to raid it of its contents. But she seemed to be approaching it extremely quickly, despite the fact that she was walking the same slowed speed she had been for the passed few hours. That was when she realised that the dot in the distance was moving towards her.

She looked sceptically at the dot that was slowly becoming less dot-like with every step she took. It didn't take long to realise that it wasn't what she thought it was... that it was a person.

Maybe she was imagining it. She had to be! There was no way that another person survived whatever had happened to the earth! And now the person was close enough to Y/N for her to see that it was a boy, dressed in some weird private school uniform. A boy with a trailer behind him, pulling it with him and the contents of a mannequin and some tools, maybe?

When Y/N was only a mere thirty-feet from the boy, she froze in place as she realised he was holding a rifle in his hands- pointed straight at her. She definitely wasn't imagining it. The boy was real, someone else had survived! Now she knew that she wasn't alone and that-

"Who the hell are you?" The boy yelled over at her, hands shaking on the rifle he was holding, "Give me one reason I shouldn't blow your brains out right this second!" Y/N could tell the boy was just as frightened and as confused as she was, the way his fingers were trembling on the trigger, the way he couldn't keep his feet still on the ground. 

Y/N put her hands up to the side of her head, unmoved by the threat of being shot. There was a breeze that day, she could easily send this boy flying if he pulled the trigger. But he was the first person she'd seen in months and she wasn't going to kill him when he hadn't even tried to kill her yet. "My name's Y/N! I don't want to hurt you. Please... just- just put down the gun." She spoke, trying to hide the quiver in her voice. She wasn't scared, she was just shocked. Too shocked to string a real sentence together.

The boy kept his hands fixed on the gun, looking the girl up and down and trying to see if she was a threat. "How... How do I know you're even real? How do I know I'm not imagining you?" He asked, his voice raised at her.

"Because it would be weird for us to both be imagining each other. Please, put down the gun." She asked him again, trying to reassure him that he was safe, and reassure herself at the same time. The boy paused, examining the girl thirty-feet in front of her before slowly.. slowly putting the rifle down to his side and taking a cautious step towards the girl.

Y/N gave a quiet sigh with relief and with every step the boy took towards her, she took a step towards him. It was obvious that they were both nervous of each others presence and by the time they were only a foot apart from each other, they were feeling a lot calmer.

The boy raised his hand slowly, causing Y/N to lean away slightly before his hand gently rested on her shoulder- shaking her slightly before stepping away from her and giving a sharp exhale. His expression lightened and, if Y/N squinted, there was a small smile on his face. He wasn't alone anymore. Neither was she.

Maybe they both wouldn't go crazy after all.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and let me know what you think <3