6 War, folly and politicking

Stanton 

'Izzy,' Stanton called from his study, pushing papers into a leather satchel.

His wife arrived promptly, hands wet from helping Cook and Midden. He was thankful to see that her Umbra, Twoshrews, had returned to the Other Realm.

'Izzy, I have a suspicion that you and Lady Rochester, snuck up to the scullery to listen to my visitor and myself conduct Ministry business. What have you to say?'

'That your hunches are as sharp as ever, Sebastian.'

'It is a serious matter, Izzy. It's bad eno –'

'You are right, I know, but Lady R is such a corrupting influence. She just wanted to hear your mysterious visitor's voice that's all.'

Stanton contained his frustration at the frivolous way Isabella was treating Ministry affairs. It was unlike her. 'I imagine Capu and Twoshrews were present too, privy to state secrets that they can relay across the Other Realm. Really, Isabella, it was the explicit orders of the missive..'

The use of her full name was unconscious but it dispelled her frivolity.

'We learnt nothing of consequence, Sebastian, truly. But Lady R heard enough to pass on a warning.'

'She did what?'

'You are to be careful of Mr Lampwick, she says.'

'Larkwing...' retorted Stanton, before biting his lip.

Isabella smiled at his slip. 'Well, she said Lampwick. She may not have mastered his name, but she is more certain of his character.'

'Which is?'

'A low sort, a skulker.'

'Lady Rochester may have her own reasons for blackening the man in my eyes, Izzy. I know her reputation for shallowness but she wields power, and her son, Strathearn, is no friend to Pitt.'

'Step-son.'

'Even so, but let us drop it. As a Minister of the Crown there must always be a part of my work, which remains hidden from you.'

'Yes, my dear, but please do not spurn her warning out of hand. Lady R is a diverting woman. Sometimes, I think her head to be as empty of serious thought as Signor Torricelli's vacuum – more so than any other lady of my acquaintance – but, since Marie Antoinette's downfall, she is the most influential person of my sex in all Europe. She is capable of intrigues, survives adversity and twists powerful men around her finger. Not using intelligence perhaps, but she has sharp instincts.'

Stanton enjoyed it when Isabella expounded earnestly. 'I suspect, Izzy, it is far more to do with the effect her plunging necklines, full lips, slim waist and handsome features have upon weak men; I included it seems. She ravaged me mercilessly with those grey eyes of hers. My tongue has never before behaved so traitorously.'

'I give you leave to be agreeable to her. I forgot that you may not have met Lady R before,' Isabella gave a forgiving smile. 'Had I known she was to visit us, I should have taken better precautions.'

'Preparing me for what, exactly?'

'Of what she is unconsciously capable of. We used to see her at balls when we were growing. As young girls we'd follow her around rooms with our gaze, remarking at her ability to strew wreckage in her wake. If she bestowed a glance upon you, it imbued you with a magical wonder. If she spoke to you for two minutes, it was gold-dust. We used to stroke her picture in The Book, believing it brought us good luck.

'Men – young and old, servants and lords – women, Umbra, all were disturbed by the churn of her passing. She imparted greater damage if she stopped to converse. Lady R was married to the Duke then, but it wasn't her title, it was... well, it was her.