Chapter 7 - Ponddell

Present

Ava

"Where are we going?" I asked.

Bork glanced at me through the rearview mirror and gave me a soft smile. "The Ponddell, "he replied. "Have you heard of it?"

I looked out of the window, catching the sight of tall trees and wild plants. The road was deserted and dark. I hesitated for a bit before responding to him, "The Ponddell? I've never heard of."

"Pondelle is a small town between the forest and the Pacific Ocean." He glanced at me briefly, seeing my hesitation. "You don't need to worry, you're safe here. You'll love this town."

I sighed, looking out. "Feeling safe? It is the last thing on my mind!" I murmured.

After an hour of riding, Bork pulled the car through the tall black iron gate and parked it in front of the huge brownstone building. My eyes widened as I caught the sight of the beautiful house nestled between the trees. The line of lush green trees on either side of the road leads to the huge wooden door.

"Mrs. Francis," Bork called me out but before he could speak, he had no choice but to let me speak.

"I'd appreciate it if you called me Ava," I said softly.

He shook his head. "Mr. Francis won't like it."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off.

"I've got a call from Mr. Francis. He'll be here in the morning. He'll spend the night with his friends in a farmhouse a few miles from the town. I'm informing you if you're wondering about him."

He noticed my disinterest. I didn't give a shit about my husband. If he wanted to spend his night with his girlfriend, then let him be. Without replying, I made my way to the house.

"Let me show you the house," he said from behind. I glanced at him over my shoulder and nodded and let him lead me inside.

I stepped inside and looked around, studying the interior look of the house. The walls were fashionable shades of white and brown and the floor was polished concrete. The kitchen was large enough to cook for a bunch of people. I reached the refrigerator to grab a bottle of water; it was stocked with fresh food: chicken, cheese, eggs, juice, bread, and a few more fruits. I glanced at the acres of brown-flecked white granite on which to prepare food. Dumping the bottle in the refrigerator, I got back to Bork, who was waiting for me in the living room.

We climbed upstairs. Every room was en-suite with a plasma screen, a king-sized bed, and a walk-in wardrobe. Dave's house was huge and luxurious. It was much larger than my house. How did he become a billionaire in nine years? But I didn't want this Dave. I want my teenage Dave, who used to wear baggy clothes and thick glasses. I smiled, remembering my first kiss in the cafeteria. Travis had given me the dare to kiss the first boy who would enter through the gate, and luckily it was Dave. I kissed him not because of my dare but because I was attracted to him at first sight. He looked different from the entire school, with baggy clothes, thick glasses, and old shoes, but still so gorgeous.

"Mrs. Francis." Bork's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I glanced at him. "Yes."

"I live behind the building. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me." He smiled.

"Does no one live here?" I asked.

"Except for Mr. Francis' friends, no one lives here. Ms. Rosalyn Capone has her house across the street but most of the time she stays here. Mr. Rowan Capone owns a property in the city because of his work so most of the time he is out of town. And Mr. Tim Carlin's house is a mile away. Mr. Francis has no one except his friends so he made them stay here with him."