Chapter 9 - Playing

Present 

Ava

“Didn’t you check Tessa’s Instagram? She has a million followers. She is a popular makeup artist in London,” I told Tim and he gave me a sad smile.

“She has so many handsome guys around her,” he said, running a hand through his hair.

“No way, Travis doesn’t let any guy near his sister, he overprotects her.”

“Travis Lizardo the CEO of DRONET. I’ve heard about him a lot. Twenty-six years old self-made multi-millionaire. Who knew the son of a prostitute would become such rich.” The last sentence, he said bitterly.

“But he never felt ashamed of his mother’s work. He always respected her and felt proud of her.” I smiled at the memories. Travis was a psychopath, but no one knew the story behind his stony face.

“Rosalyn, watch out!” Tim growled.

I quickly looked at Rosalyn, who was standing near the stove and staring at us blankly. Her hand was near the stove, but she didn’t even realize the heat.

“Fuck you, Rosa!” Tim hissed, hurried to her, and slapped away her hand. “Those two men beat the shit out of me if you hurt any part of your body.”

“I’m fine,” Rosalyn said roughly, checking her hand. I could feel pain in her voice. Did I say something wrong? Did she hurt when I talked about Travis? Because as far as I remember, she hated him so much. “And you get out of here. I’ll call you back when breakfast gets ready.”

Tim snorted before walking out.

I sighed and moved to her, looking at her left hand, which was a little red. “Are you okay?” I asked. 

She gave me a nod, taking a breath. “You must learn to cook, or do you want to die hungry? Today I’m cooking, tomorrow will be Tim’s turn and next Rowan’s. How long does it last?” She said while setting a pan on the stove.

I went to the refrigerator and took out a few ice cubes. “I’ll try some other day,” I said and reached out to her.

“What..are..”

Before she could question me, I cut her off. “Shut up.” Grabbing her hand, I massaged the red spot with an ice cube. I had been with her for an hour as she had been preparing breakfast. Dave had asked me to stay with her because of her nausea. I didn’t like her at school time, but now I was enjoying her company. This sounds strange. It didn’t mean that she became my friend, but she was trying to be nice to me. “Have you taken your medicines?”

She gave me a small smile. “Dave has asked you to babysit me?”

I shrugged. “Yup, but….” I looked away. “But I just want to make sure you and your baby stay healthy.” Kiara, my sister-in-law had lost her first child, and it broke my heart. And seeing Rosalyn pregnant only reminded me of Kiara’s condition. It was foolish to think like that, but I wanted her safe. Ugh, what am I thinking? I shook my head and looked at her. She was watching me with a frown. “How are you feeling?”

“It is becoming hard day by day. The doctor has told me it’ll take a few more weeks to get rid of nausea.”

I laughed and let go of her hand. “How long have you been pregnant?”

“Four weeks!” She huffed.

“Pregnancy is beautiful,” I smiled. I loved children so much. I loved my niece, Harley. I loved Kelvin even though I had never held him in my arms, but he reminded me of Henry, his dark eyes, and dark hair.

“Ugh, not again!” Rosalyn hurried to the bathroom. I watched her until she disappeared.

I heard the footsteps coming from the opposite direction. “Is she okay?” Tim quickly walked into the kitchen.