Chapter 3

Three days before the end of the year

Hogwarts had got better. Despite being ignored by everyone I knew, except for Aruna Malfoy, and missing out on Animagus lessons, things had been pretty good.

As an apology for being banned from training me, Remus had slightly reluctantly given me the Invisibility Cloak, much to my delight.

Most nights I would creep out of my dormitory and explore the castle; it helped clear my head and kept me relaxed.  

Since Sirius had the marauder's map, I was left to my own devices when it came to navigating my way around. Despite frequently getting lost the first few nights, I soon got used to the layout of the castle and by the time the Christmas holidays rolled around, I was pretty confident I knew more about this place than The Marauders.

My favourite place was the Room of Requirement, which I stumbled upon one night when I was hopelessly lost. I walked back and forth, thinking I need a way back to my bed. To my surprise, a fancy oak door appeared on the the portrait studded wall.

Cautiously, (remembering the story of Grandad's encounter with fluffy), I eased the colossal door open, to find a broom closet with a map of Hogwarts lying on the ground.

Great, a way back, I thought to myself.  But I'm so tired. I wish there was a quicker way to bed.

As soon as I thought this, the map glowed electric-blue then faded back to normal.

Feeling confused, I picked the map up and as soon as I did so, I felt a hook behind my navel and spun around in bemusement to find that everything around me was swirling manically, fading through the colours of the spectrum.

I was beginning to feel sick, when, thankfully, the swirling died away and I was dumped in a heap on my bed.

It was a portkey, I realised, with embarassment. Why didn't I see that before? And the strange place I discovered must have been the Room of Requirement that my great uncle Ron was always fanatising about.

Grinning to myself at my new discovery, I succumbed to my impressively heavy eyelids and let sleep wash over me.

The Room of Requirement soon became my favourite place to visit as it could become whatever I wanted it to.

Then a few days later, I actually made a friend - well, in a way.
21st November 2047

I had just experienced the world's most awesome DADA lesson from Professor Cohead. She was amazing at Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Today we had been attempting to duel. I think Grandad would be proud of me, I was the third to last out. Then it was between my second cousin Tom Malfoy and a fierce, almost scary looking girl.

Tom fired every spell he could think of, sweat pouring down his pale face and pointed chin, his dark eyes narrowed with concentration. The other girl, however, had an almost bored expression on her olive face, and with an effortless flick of her wand, Tom was sitting on the ground looking blank, his wand easily caught by his opponent.

Everyone was amazed. Even Proffesor Cohead looked slightly shocked, but she rapidly recovered.

"Well it seems we have a deserving winner, well done Carrie," she said, and Carrie gave a satisfied smirk that I recognised from somewhere.

"Now, you can either stop there and receive fifty points for your house, OR, you can duel with me and win this," everyone gasped. Proffesor Cohead was holding up a silvery piece of material which looked strikingly familiar.