Chapter 11: Why Bother

Sometimes I wonder why you guys like this story so much- really thanks for reading. I must be doing something right.

.

.

.

Run.

That was my first instinct.

Could I outrun a vampire?

Would he chase after me?

Did I want him to?

I couldn't run away now, could I? It would be obvious. But he noticed me being so obvious henceforth asking me that question. I really can't hide anything well. I didn't want to lie to him either.

Suddenly getting up, I asked, "Why would you think that?"

Then I grabbed my plate and hurried to the tray return. I put my plate on the rotating trays where the workers wash the dishes. Turning around, I think about making a beeline for it.

Zeke was right in front of me, arms crossed, looking at me confused. "Are you sure you're not?"

I was not expecting to meet him right here and now so early in the morning. If I was sleepy, I was wide awake now. Nothing like a surprise attack from the one you were trying to not see to wake you right up.

My heart was beating so fast, I was sure he could hear it.

I didn't want to lie to him. "Could we talk somewhere else?" I asked, looking around.

Zeke looked around too.

Thankfully, this early in the morning there was max like five vampires. Just in case, I wanted more privacy from Helda or Linda's prying ears.

I grabbed his upper arm, wishing I didn't because wow those were some muscles he had underneath that long sleeve shirt. As quickly as I grabbed it, I let go, face flaming. Almost jogging out of Grand Lobby, where the park was behind it. It also doubles into a huge golf course too. Who knew vampires liked golfing.

He was right beside me. Curse that vampire speed.

"So then why haven't you returned my letters?"

This caused me to come to a complete halt. He stopped too, his eyebrows scrunched up.

My voice was high pitched. "I didn't get your letters." This was actually the truth. Something I can handle well. Especially with Zeke looking at me like that.

"You didn't?"

"Because I most definitely would have responded to them." I felt guilty now.

"Oh." Zeke blinked.

I cleared my throat, avoiding eye contact and kept on walking the path. "Yeah."

"Is everything alright with you?" his concern was so sincere it made my heart ache a little. I went from spending so much time with him to freezing him out this week which was unfair.

Everything was not alright since now I knew Helda stole my mail. She was the only one that would do it.

We came up to a small lake, and deciding I was too tired in the morning to walk a full round, I sat on the bench facing the lake. Zeke sat next to me, giving a good distance between us.

"Could you do me a favor?" I asked him. Subconsciously leaning in.

"Sure," Zeke leaned in a bit as well. I caught his amazing scent, wondering if I could rub his hoodie on him so his scent wouldn't disappear without making it look creepy.