Chapter 15: Reasoning

A million thanks to all of you guys forever. 

Also, this chapter was like not at all supposed to go like this, but here we are. I hope you enjoy!

.

.

.

"You've gotten better."

Chef Marco's praise made me smile as we both walked out the restaurant, finished closing. We were the last two people to leave, wanting to do a good job at cleaning. Me- because I was new and needed this job. Chef Marco because he really cared about the restaurant and told me that the two brothers who owned it basically gave him free reign to do whatever he wanted.

"Thanks. That's only two dishes I've broken this week," I said. "But who's counting?"

"Should I wait until your ride comes for you?" Chef Marco asked politely. 

I shook my head, "No. Lou will be here in a minute."

"Okay," Chef Marco deliberated. "But you have my number in case anything happens, right?"

I nodded. "Thank you. Good night. I'll see you soon."

Once Chef Marco pulled out of the driveway, I sighed, sitting on the pavement. Luckily, the restaurant was near other fancier places that opened later than 10 PM, so I wasn't alone per se. Still far, but I could see lights at least. And the parking lot was also well lit too.

Lou was supposed to come early, but she wasn't here yet. I called her.

No answer.

I texted Lou:  Hey are you on your way?

I couldn't text Skye because she had a life and was spending the night at one of her friend's house hours away. Grabbing an Uber was easy. Spending the money on that wasn't worth it when I could be saving it. All those Uber drives added up weekly.

Typically, she drives fast and reckless. I hope she was okay. I could wait for her.

Until I hear a noise.

I call the first person that came to mind. His presence wasn't here, but hearing his voice, would comfort me. 

He picked up on the third ring. "Hello?" Zeke asked.

"Hi I hope it's not late. Sorry to bother you. Are you free to talk?" I rushed.

"No bother at all. Hold on-" there was a noise. Hold up was that crying sound a baby? I hear another voice, deeper like a male who seemed to be trying to make the crying stop. Some shuffling noise, and a door closing. "Alright, there we go. How are you? Everything alright?"

I clutched my phone tighter. "Yeah. Just." Why did I call him specifically?  "Uh, waiting for Lou to pick me up from work."

"Hmm...It's almost 11," Zeke deliberates this. "Since I can't be there fast, I can ask Reggie to pick you up. Are you safe?"

"I think so," I turned around to make sure I didn't hear a noise again. 

"Yeah, I'm calling Reggie. Stay by the Renaissance. We have a security camera there."

That eased some bit of my anxiety. "I'll be on the phone with you until Reggie comes."

"Are you sure? You don't have to."