Chapter 1 (Part 1)

Antonio, Salerio and Solanio were on the roof, basking in the sun. It was break time so the three of them decided to go to the roof and have their lunch peacefully without any troublesome encounters with the senior boys of their school.

They were in their second year of high school. School had begun just a month ago. Two more years in the hell hole and they would be free after graduation.

Salerio and Solanio noticed that Antonio was lost in his own world, unaware of their presence. Solanio gently nudged Antonio.

Feeling their questioning gazes, Antonio sighed. "I know you guys are wondering why I'm feeling down today. Actually, I don't know about that myself. The weather is nice, wind is blowing, yet I feel depressed. I wonder what's the reason behind this uncanny feeling. I feel so tired, though I didn't do anything too exerting."

Salerio smiled gently at him. "Maybe you're just tensed about your test, Antonio. You did mention something about tests this whole week on most of the subjects. The exam is nearing. Maybe you're just stressed out. Tests can do that to people. And though you always manage all your tests, it's okay to feel bit stressed out sometimes."

Solanio joined in. "Well, I'm glad about the fact that I'm not in your class. The teachers in your class are real dangerous. I would've been thrown out of the school long ago if I were in your class.

And the amount of work your class teacher gives? I would take a month and still not be able to finish it. It gives me chills to think about the homework you have to complete every single freaking day."

Salerio butted in, "It's true Antonio. We wouldn't be able to keep our head above water with all that work. All those tests, all those homeworks, projects, assignments, it's understandable why you are feeling down.

It's too much pressure. Not even our class teacher is so strict. I swear, only geniuses can survive in your class. Once your class teacher took a substitution class in our class. It was pure hell." Both Salerio and Solanio shivered at that horrible memory.

Salerio continued, "Never again do I want to have class with that teacher. Never ever. But Antonio, if you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask us. We're there to help you dude. Don't try to do everything yourself."

Antonio gave him a small smile. "I appreciate your concern, guys, but it isn't schoolwork that I'm sad or stressed out about. I don't exactly know what it's about, but it sure as hell isn't schoolwork. I have completed all my homeworks and am totally ready for any test anytime in any subject."

Solanio whistled. "That is really impressive, dude. Well then, I guess you're in love. So... Who's the lucky guy?"

Salerio almost choked at how bluntly Solanio put it. It was no secret to anyone the fact that Antonio was gay. But honestly Solanio was curious. Was there truly such a guy who stole Antonio's heart?

Antonio jerked a bit before replying, "I am not in love with anyone." He looked sharply at Salerio who raised his hands in surrender.

"Fine, fine. You're not in love. We cross that possibility. So we just have to conclude that you are feeling sad because you have no reason to be happy. People can dance and run around and say they're happy because they're not sad. Gods... Humans are so complex."

Solanio interrupted, "You are a human yourself, idiot. Or are you trying to imply that you're something else?"

"Oh hush Solanio. I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about complex humans. I'm a simple human who has only one goal in life. Get out of this hell hole. Complex humans aren't simple creatures like me and you, Solanio. They can be as serious and stiff as a robot, or they can be as loud and funny like a joker. Do you understand now?"

"I didn't get a word of what you said, but I say Gratiano is rubbing off on you."

The door to the roof opened with a creaking sound, effectively getting the attention of the three of them. Bassanio entered along with Lorenzo and Gratiano.

"Ah, speak of the devil." Solanio muttered under his breath. He greeted them. "About time you came, guys. You'll are pretty late today."

Salerio suddenly exclaimed, "Solanio, didn't we have the deadline for our English homework today?!"

"Yes, we did, why? We were given that two weeks ago, dude! Don't tell me you still haven't completed it?!"

Salerio paled. "Hell no. Please help me out Solanio. I'll make it up to you later. I promise. We gotta go now guys. See y'all later!" Without giving Solanio a chance a speak, Salerio dragged Solanio with him, slamming the door shut.

But they could hear Solanio shout out, "Don't think I've forgotten about the gaming competition this Sunday, Bassanio!"

The footsteps died out. All people present in the roof chuckled at their antics.

Lorenzo spoke up, "Well then, Bassanio. We also need to go now. We have a club meeting before the break ends. Remember that class starts in few minutes. And you absolutely cannot afford to miss it, understood? We have an important test today."

"I know that Lorenzo, geez, you nag me more than my mother, I swear. Now run along. Hana's not gonna be happy if both of you miss the club meeting today."

"You looking sad there, dude. Everything alright?" Gratiano asked, concerned about his friend.

"I wish I knew the answer to this sadness, Gratiano."

"Then let me cheer you up. I'll behave like a joker and make you laugh so hard your stomach will ache. But seriously Antonio, you should take up some club activities.

You study way too much and have way too little fun. You're always so serious, no wonder you're feeling sad. I love and respect you like my brother Antonio, you know that. It's not a secret to anyone how much I adore you like a brother.

They say people who talk little and are always serious grow older more quickly. They say that people who are always serious looking are intelligent and wise but I'm sure that if they speak, they sure as hell would spout nonsense.

I'll tell you more about my theory later, after school. But in the meantime, cheer up, Antonio. Don't make a face like that. It'll destroy that pretty little face of yours. Come on, Lorenzo my friend, lets run along now."

Lorenzo sighed deeply. "I have to be one of those serious looking idiots, I guess. He never let's me open my mouth."

Gratiano grinned at him. "Stay with me till graduation, and then you'll have to learn how to speak again. It's because you're gonna forget how to speak, keeping quiet all the time."

Antonio shuddered. "I'll take that as a warning and start talking. I have no interest in forgetting the sound of my voice, thank you very much."

"Well that's good, cause silence suits ghosts and spirits only, not living creatures." Gratiano said. After that both Gratiano and Lorenzo exited the roof top and went off to god knows where.