Chapter 6

Arnica

Arnica

Treat bruises, sprains, arthritic pain, and muscle aches.

Vitaly (picture)

I was woken up by a sharp stick being hit against my legs. quickly pulling my knees to my chest, and accidentally hit the slave sleeping next to me. All the slaves were curled up close to one another to keep warm through the cold night. Mika was walking around waking the slaves up by banging a stick at the poles of the beds and the legs of the slaves. He was shouting commands and since I was new here I followed the other slaves and began to stand up.

Under the dim yellow glow from the flame Mika was holding, I saw that we were each handed a wooden bowl as we walked out of the quarter. A spoon full of porage was smacked into my bowl. I stared at the cold porage with hungry eyes. Using my fingers, I copied the other slaves eating quickly. The cleanly licked bowls were then collected and our work tools were handed to us as we began to march towards the field.

As we marched, the sun was beginning to rise bringing with it rays of warmth. I was grateful for the food provided, knowing that I would need all my energy to work in the fields today. From working yesterday, I was already able to conclude that today would be a very long and hard day.

Pulling the wheat, cutting it, and then placing it in the pile. Repeating this all day and I'm guessing for the rest of my life.

My hands were getting cuts all over, my muscles were beginning to sore, my stomach kept clawing at me for more food, the heat was making me dizzy.

More pulling, more cutting, more piling. The work was so repetitive that my thoughts were getting the best of me. I tried to take my mind off the scorching heat and focus on Katya. Her turquoise eyes, her soft lips, her gentle touch. I wanted to see her again. But I'm a slave and she is my new master's daughter. Our lives would never cross paths again.

The pain in my back was excruciating. My knees just wanted to give out. I couldn't focus on the song the other slaves were singing. Hunger and thrust consumed my thoughts and all attempts in thinking of Katya and her healing touch melted away. My vision was getting foggy but in fear of getting another lash on my back I kept on working.

From the corner of my eye, I saw one of the slaves fall. An older man whose skin was harshly tanned and wrinkled from many years of work on the fields. His droopy eyes showed his complete exhaustion. His dried-up lips were opening and closing as he was trying to get air into his lungs. His raspy voice tried yelling out "water", but it came out as a whisper. His dry throat would not permit him to rais his voice.

Mika saw the slave laying down and not working, and began to walk towards him, tightly grasping his leather whip in his hand. He lifted the whip, and then time slowed. I dropped my tool and ran over to the fallen slave. Disregarding all previous pains, I shielded his withered body with my own. Giving Mika the vulnerability of my fully exposed back. The old man stared at me and then yelled "let me die you foolish booooi" barely having enough air in his lungs to finish the sentence.

Then the whip took its bite at my skin. Stripping it of layers and leaving a pulsing sting behind. I closed my eyes as I felt the pain of my old wounds open and the warm blood spilling from the sides of my damaged back. I prepared myself for the next blow.

Mika yelling at me the entire time to get off the slave and let him receive his punishment. I stood my ground. Not moving from the old man, protecting him from the deadly whip. Then Mika rained lash after lash onto my already damaged back. Putting more force with each angry strike. After the eighth strike, I let out a whimper of pain. I opened my mouth with every whip lash, but could not permit my dry voice in releasing a scream. I shut my eyes tightly as tears flew down my face and onto the old man.

I began to feel my mind slipping away. The old man stared at me as I took his punishment. And then my eyes shut and I did not feel any more pain. I felt my body go limp on top of the old slave.

Gentle hands were stroking my cheek and I heard and angles voice in my ear. She was saying something that I could not comprehend. But her presence made me feel safe. Then the darkness took me once more as my body finally gave up and slipped away.

~~~

Hi guys,

Sorry that this chapter is a bit shorter than usual. I'll try to update the next chapter tomorrow. Please comment :)