Chapter 7

Opium Poppy

Opium Poppy

The unripe seed capsule was once used an an ancient very effective painkiller. Very addictive though.

Katherina

I was standing behind Mika, and in front of me, I saw how he was ruthlessly killing a slave. The slave's back was shredded and blood was oozing out of the deep cuts made by Mika's hand. I then noticed the curly blond hair and my heart sank even further. Mika was killing Vitaly. I wrapped my arms around Mika's right arm which held the leather whip firmly in his hand.

He looked at me with irritation and tried to shake me off. Tears blurred my vision as I began to beg Mika to stop. "You are gonna kill him" I shouted.

The realization was clear on his face and he dropped the whip instantly. I found the courage to walk over to the limp body.

Vitaly was laying on top of an older slave and his head leaned against the crook of the old man's neck. I took my hand and began to touch his cheek and then lead my fingers in front of his mouth to feel his breath. Relife struck me as I felt steady weak breaths leave his partly open mouth from which blood poured out. He must have accidentally bitten his lip from the pain.

I faced Mika, and with a stern voice asked him to get a few slaves to gently bring Vitaly back to the slave quarter. Mika's stunned features finally relaxed and he motioned four slaves to come over and complete my command. I ran back to where I dropped my basket and began to make my way towards the slave quarter.

...

As I entered the damp, lightly illuminated room filled with hay. I found Vitaly's still figure. I sat the basket beside him and quickly put my fingers in front of his mouth once more to make sure he was still breathing.

Short weak breaths were being forced out of his lungs. Fear struck me as I realized that he would wake any minute and feel all that has been done to his body. I pulled out the tonics that Ester prepared for me. Quickly going through the instructions she gave me in my head. I pulled out the small blade I always kept with me and lightly peeled off the blood stuck shirt that Vitaly wore. Gently cutting it so I could fully see the extent of the damage done to him.

Once I got his shirt off, I felt my vision going blurry from the tears swelling in my eyes. For such a gentle boy he did not deserve this harsh treatment. 'Why was he laying on the older slave? What did he do to anger Mika so much?' I questioned myself.

His back was plastered with wet and dry blood. The cuts from the whip ranged in severity. But the one on his shoulder blade cut in very deep. I got up and quickly ran outside. I passed a few workers and rushed into the kitchen where I found Mariana. I greeted her quickly and grabbed a few rags and a wooden bucket. I sprinted out of the house and towards the well, filling the bucket with clean water.