Chapter 8

Nettle

Nettle

Known for its sting, nettle has long been used as an anti-inflammatory and anti-allergen. Very useful in treating hay fever, asthma, itchy skin, and bug bites. 

Katherina

Clutching my book tightly in my arms, I sprinted away from Roman and towards my bedroom to change. Freya was already there waiting for me. When I rushed in the room she gasped as she looked me over. "Miss Katya you are bleeding," she said in a frightened voice. I looked down at my self and then reassured her that it was not my blood. 

Freya then led me towards the tub of warm water and helped me bathe. I scrubbed all the dirt and dry blood off my hands, and I saw how Freya wanted to ask me where it came from but could not get the courage to do so. My mind was too busy thinking of Vitaly. The amount of pain he endured, and the situation in which I found him. I never learned why he was laying on top of the old slave. What made Mika so upset that he almost whipped him to death. 

Once I was satisfied that all the dirt and blood was cleaned from my skin, I got up and dried myself. Freya then brought over the dress I would be wearing for this evening. 

"Miss Katya," she said, "This dress is a gift from the Aminov family"

I walked over to the dress. It was a light green the same color of a  hydrangea flower that has not yet bloomed, the sleeves had detailed ruffled crochet and the corset that lay beneath the dress was exquisite with intricate patterns of white feathers. I looked up at Freya and she smiled back at me "would you like me to help you dress miss?" I replied with a yes and we began with the difficult process of putting on the dress.

The corset that came with the dress was so tight I felt nauseous. When we were finally done, I looked at myself in the mirror, I had never worn anything so elegant. The person staring back at me in the mirror looked surreal. I felt like my mother in this dress, it made me feel uncomfortable like all other dresses worn by the high society. Fashionable yet useless. How would I be able to defend myself or even run in this dress? The corset suffocating me and the dress itself like a heavyweight pulling me down. 

Freya then turned to my vanity and began to reach for a black velvet box with a red silky ribbon. "The Aminov family also gave you this," she said as she passed the velvet box to me. I pulled on the ribbon and then opened the box. Inside I found a note. 

Scottish pearls for the dear lady Katherina. 

Yours respectfully,

Roman Aminov

I put the note aside and looked a the necklace that lay elegantly in the box. I was not used to these riches, and if he thought that giving me jewels and fine dresses were to make me fall in love with him, then it was not working. But out of respect for his family, I gave Freya the box and she helped put the necklace around my neck.