o n e

| Adeline |

Adeline walked out of her therapy appointment, feeling the same as she walked in. She lacked happiness. She always did. Growing up with extremely slow self-esteem does that to a person.

She grew up as an outcast, someone no one really liked. It drained her to feel this way, which is why she tried to get all the help she could get. None of it worked. The little voice in her head was always there reminding her that she won't ever be good enough.

She walked into her shared apartment after a long tiring day, even though it was simply mid-afternoon. Her roommate was at work so she just made her way to her room. Putting on a sweatshirt and short pants before cuddling into her sheets, with her phone in her hand.

She kept her music at a low volume, even though no one else was home. She preferred it that way. Some days were worse than others, especially her therapy days. The days where she was supposed to feel some type of joy and relief, made her feel the worst she has ever been.

She hated the way Dr. Barnes would talk about being happy as if she could snap her fingers and feel the way normal people felt but she couldn't. She was incapable of loving herself and getting others to love her. She only had two friends, Ivy and Chase.

Her parents cared about her and did everything they could to help their daughter get to feel the emotion that she lacked. They thought if she moved away from home, she would find it. Due to her social skills, she was unable to attain what she desperately craved.

Ivy was one of the only people who truly cared for the sad girl. She always did her best to give Adeline some sort of happiness. Most times it worked, but the majority of the time, Adeline lacked the sense of euphoria.

Adeline fell asleep, as she doesn't get much during the night hours, so power naps were her only source of sleep. On top of all her inner problems, she had bad insomnia, which didn't help her low energy given by her depression.

Adeline could have taken pills to make her happy, but she hated putting unnatural substances in her body. It would have been the easiest way to make her feel better, but she refused. She felt that a person could make her happy, she just hasn't found her human happy pill yet.

After her three hour nap, Ivy was home from work. Ivy was opposite from the introverted girl and loved to be outgoing. Meeting new people, and just mainly going out to explore. Adeline favored staying to the more secluded people.

When Adeline heard the apartment door opened, she jumped out of bed to greet her friend inside the living room.

"Hey Addy, how was your day?" Her friend asked plopping down on their couch. Adeline went over to join her friend, sitting next to her.

"The same as every day. How was work?"

"Different day, the same thing. I was thinking we could go out tonight?" Adeline let out a breathe, thinking about how she much rather order in.

"Where too?" Adeline didn't want to ask, but she felt bad not to, considering that Ivy does so much for her.

"Our favorite diner for dinner then a new cafe opened up 10 minutes away, we could check it out?" Ivy spoke, glancing at her friend with puppy dog eyes. Adeline almost always gave in to her when she used those eyes, just because she loved to make others happy, even when she couldn't make herself happy.