Wanting To Crush Him

It was the day after the confession.

It is also the second worst day of my life and I got these puffy eyes and a head-splitting headache to crown the moment. My chest felt restricted and my heavily bandaged heart complete with gauzes and band-aids is threatening to burst open as I stood witness to the sweet girl and P'Champ's exchange of shy glances and timid smiles. I'm happy for them and sad for myself. Sigh.

I really should've just stayed home.

With my face almost as pale as a pail, P'Champ and the rest of the team had a collective agreement that I look so unwell I should just rest in the bench for the whole of our practice. I appreciate the gesture if only the sweet girl whose actual name was May isn't acting the kind angel that she is by taking care of me.

Her durian chips are out of this world tasty I can't even begin to hate her even if I want to. Ugh.

When practice was over I decided to stay and help clean up. I don't need to for it wasn't my turn anymore but I opted to stay behind. I can't bring back yesterday but I can make it up with today. I act like a decent human from time to time. And more importantly, I don't want to go home with the new couple. As much as I love both of them, they make my eyes glitch.

I need to keep the dam well guarded and secured.

When I was still doing my preparations for the big day: aka worst day of my life, aka everything-went-wrong day, aka unintentional confession day to my porcupine of a senior, I kind of knew already that it will fall on the day I am assigned to be cleaning after practice.

But when a mere cleaning duty stands in the way of a long planned confession, I thought it was a no-brainer for me to ditch it and proceed with my plans. But if what happened yesterday was any indication, I should have prioritized my responsibilities first. Brooms over boys.

If I did attend to my duties first that day instead of playing hooky I wouldn't have been caught in that moment and will never have a need to lie or even confess to the wrong person. While it's true that I'd still be brokenhearted by now, I at least wouldn't have been compelled to settle for a problematic solution even dragging the annoying senior along with it.

So next time something happens maybe an earthquake or two and it was my day to clean up after practice, I swear I will clean first before even doing that 'duck, cover and hold' thing. No one will ever make me escape my cleaning duties again!

Still, I'm a bit glad with how things have turned out. P'Champ is already going out with May and my reputation's still intact. I think I just avoided the worst.

Or maybe I talked too soon.

A storm is brewing and I can see some dark clouds ahead as P'Dew walks toward my direction. Actually that guy is the storm himself and there's no calm before or after with him. I'm bracing myself for what was about to come.

But thinking more about it, although P'Dew has always been known as hot-tempered, I never saw him hit anyone before. The guy is just all-mouth and talk and a ton of curses. I can fly with that. I know I deserve whatever sermon I'll be getting from him. Knowing he hasn't hit anyone in the team yet is suddenly a very valuable information worth more than my own birthday or my twitter password.

Trying to gauge the situation, what's the worst thing that can happen anyway? He'll probably just rant at me for half an hour because someone has to do all the cleaning in my place and glare at me every practice or when we meet in the hallways. No big deal. It's not like he's not doing that already with me. Bring it on! I'm already immune to him and his always annoyed face.

However when P'Dew was but a step away from me, the words that left his mouth betrayed all my expectations and even my wild assumptions.

"Champ said you don't look well.", P'Dew started. I can feel him fidget at this like a snake bit him and I'm not sure where this conversation is heading.

"Just some headache from lack of sleep. I should be fine after a long rest.", I replied politely like I always do.

"Why didn't you rest early after leaving the place yesterday? You didn't even wait for my answer."

I didn't hear the last thing P'Dew said but I'm not in the mood to talk to him and decided to give him an excuse and leave.

"I'm planning to rest early today P' so I will go ahead first."

I gathered my stuff and passed him by when I felt P'Dew grab my wrist. I turned around to look at him. My eyes asks him a silent question.

"It's a yes."

"Huh?"

"I said I'm giving you a yes."

"For what P'?"

I'm sure he's speaking thai but I just don't understand him.

"Dummy. You confessed to me yesterday right? I'm saying yes to you so now we're dating."

It's all going downhill so fast.

"But you don't like me P'."

"I didn't like you before. But I do now. Let's go, I'll take you home."

It took me awhile to realize what P'Dew means by what he said and by the time I am ready to explain things to him I was already dragged inside his car.

Not willing to risk a car accident just to clear things up I silently sat on his passenger seat and thought of a way to get to north pole. I badly needed to escape from here.

***

8.10.20
MON