Chapter 24 - I Drive Myself Crazy

[Nick]

That July 2004 night in London was the last time I talked to Harley for a while. I flew back to the States and dove into working on the album with the guys. Harley's statement about the Paris incident helped the situation a lot. Paris eventually came out and said that she had made it all up and my name was pretty much cleared and she was the one that looked bad.

I didn't know how to thank Harley for it so when I knew she was back in the States, I sent pink roses, her favorite, to her house to thank her again for releasing that press statement. I got a 'you're welcome' text with a wink smiley face from her and that was it. That November, I ran into her at an American Music Awards after party that I attended with the guys and we exchanged awkward smiles. She was with Ashton and I didn't want to impose. It was just felt and very awkward.

It was weird because we confided in each other so much in London, talking and confessing things and then it just went back to how it was before – like we were strangers. I was there, dateless, while the other guys had girls with them. I didn't know who to talk to or hang out with for fear that they would bring her up.

I thought after London that we would at least become friends again but I had thought wrong, or at least that's what I thought. She gave me that look as if she wanted to come over, hug, and say hello but she was scared to. So, I didn't push it. I smiled back at her and kept watching her throughout the night.

But what I didn't know at the time was that Harley was going through her own problems that nobody, including those in her inner circle, knew about – except for me.

[/Nick]

[December 2004]

Harley laid on the table in an examination room, with the lights low and her eyes closed. Her hair was in a ponytail and she had no make-up on. She had been suffering from migraines the past few weeks, due to the stress she was under. She was under more stress now than she had ever been under. She was under pressure not from just the music industry but herself to top her last album. She had barely seen Ashton the past few months because he was so busy shooting movies, shooting "That 70's Show," and producing and filming "Punk'd." It wasn't like neither of them hadn't tried to make time for one another – they had tried hard.

The last time she saw him is when she was in Los Angeles for the American Music Awards in November. She won both the Female Country Artist and Female Pop Artist awards, along with Favorite Pop Album award. She performed "Kiss You on the Mouth" and had an awesome time at the after party, until she saw Nick, staring at her from across the room.

"It wouldn't look right if you went over and talked to him with cameras around," Ashton told her and he was right. It wouldn't look right and she felt bad about it. She wanted to go say hi. She wanted to go see the other guys. She sent AJ a text that night apologizing for not saying hello.

And since then, she had thought about Nick a lot. She wished she could blame Nick for her migraines but she knew he wasn't the reason. There were so many things she was stressed about and while Nick was probably a part of that stress, he wasn't the sole reason.

"Miss Harper," the doctor said, walking into the room. "I heard you passed out earlier today," he said as Harley nodded.

"I was in my living room with my father and I passed out, so he made me come in," she said as the doctor nodded. "I've been having these migraines for years whenever I'm under stress, but I've never passed out from them. I've just been under so much stress lately and they have gotten worse."

"Well your blood pressure is through the roof," he said as Harley sighed. "High blood pressure can cause migraines, Harley. Have you always had high blood pressure?" Harley shook her head.

"My mother suffered from it and my grandfather too," she said. "It's just the stress..."

"You need to get the stress out your life if you're under that much stress. It's not good for you."

"If I knew how to get rid of some of the stress, I would," she said, rubbing her forehead. She had a migraine at that very minute.

"Well, are you working right now?" he asked as she shook her head.

"Trying to write for my next album," she whispered. "That's not going all that great and my fiancé and I don't get to see one another all that much lately and just thinking a lot about things, it gives me the headaches and makes me upset..."

"And your blood pressure rises," he said as he nodded. "We ordered you a CAT scan for tomorrow just to be on the safe side, but I'm pretty sure it's just from high blood pressure. I'm going to give you a prescription for some blood pressure pills and some pain medication for the migraines that will help you, Harley. But you have got to get the stress out of your life. High blood pressure can lead to a lot more serious problems, like a stroke and you are way too young to have that."

"I'll try, Doc. I promise," Harley smiled, taking the prescriptions from the doctor.

Harley thanked the doctor and made her way out of the examination room. She walked by the payment center, finding out that her father had already taken care of the bill and she walked out, seeing her father sitting in the waiting room alone.

"What did the doctor say?" Jon asked as he and Harley started walking to his huge pick-up truck. "Are you going to be okay?"

"My blood pressure is sky high," she said, watching her father shake his head. Harley opened the door to his truck and climbed inside, putting her sunglasses on. "Said I need to get some of the stress out of my life."

"Well what are you stressed about besides music?" Jon asked as he pulled out of the doctor's parking lot. "Something else going on?" Harley leaned her head back, not wanting to open her eyes because the sun was so bright? "Harley, talk to me. I don't like you passing out in front of me."

"I'm kind of stressed out about Ashton, too," she said, turning her head to look at her father. "We haven't seen or talked to one another a lot lately and the movie's director doesn't want me around. At first when he was away filming it was fine. Like when Nick and I were apart for weeks at a time, we would talk and text and e-mail, all the time. With Ashton the past two months, it feels like I'm engaged to someone who I only see when I go to an awards show and I hate that and that's my own fault too because he doesn't initiate contact so I don't either."

"Well, you need to figure something out," Jon said as Harley nodded. "You have enough to worry about with your career. Don't make yourself sick by worrying over a boy."

"Do you think it's a mistake for me to marry him?" Harley asked as Jon stopped at a red light and looked at his daughter. "Sometimes I feel like I jumped into the engagement too soon, you know?"

"Sweetie, if you're having second thoughts about it, then it's not what you want," he said as she crossed her arms over her chest. "You shouldn't be worrying yourself over this and making yourself sick." Harley nodded and leaned her head back again. "When did you start thinking about this?"

"A few months ago," Harley whispered. "And now every time that I've seen Ashton since, which hasn't been many times, I just realize more and more that I don't know if it's the right thing or not."

"He's coming to Atlanta for Christmas, isn't he?" Jon asked as Harley shrugged. "Just talk to him about it. Maybe he's feeling the same way."

Harley sighed, nodding and closing her eyes as her father drove them back to her house. He was right. She needed to talk to Ashton about what she was feeling and she needed to do it in person. There was no way she was going to talk to him about it on the phone.