𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟥

𝙺𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝙺𝚞𝚛𝚊𝚗

I woke up with a gasp. I sat up in bed, panting a little from the dream I just had. I reached with my left hand to my face, touched the skin beneath my eye, and noticed the wetness of it. Tears were running down my face, I was crying, and my hands were shaking a bit.

I was sad and... scared. Scared of being alone, all because of a dream. But was it really a dream? It was not the first time it happened. The more I kept having them, the more convinced I became that somehow, they were memories, my memories.

In my last dream, I saw a woman, the same one I have dreamed of before. It's like every time I went to sleep, I saw a new chapter of a story. It started with the first chapter, my birth. Then the second chapter, life after coming to the world. The third chapter, becoming what later we would be called as pureblood. The fourth chapter, merely existing, forgetting my own name, no purpose in life, living in solitude. Then came the fifth chapter, when I met her, she gave me a purpose in life, the first woman I became attached to, she gave me a name.

The same name I had now. Kaname.

After numerous chapters, where I watched everything that happened after meeting her, appeared the chapter I saw tonight. The woman that I had come to care about gave her own life to create the anti-vampire weapons. I knew that she did it so that I wouldn't do it.

'Wait! Since when did I start talking like I lived it? Well, I guess I did. It certainly feels like it. She threw her own heart out so that vampires don't abuse their powers, don't abuse humans.'

Somehow, even if it was not real, I made myself a promise; I would not allow vampires to abuse their powers. No matter what.

I looked at the clock and realized that at this hour, the sun was still high in the sky. I didn't feel like going to sleep, though. The feelings of losing someone important were still printed in my mind.

Suddenly, it occurred to me, what if something like that happened to Reiko? She was my other half, without her, what did I have to live for? I couldn't bear to live in a world where she was not in it. I couldn't begin to imagine the void that would fill my heart if such a day were to come.

While, in my mind, I was starting to panic with the thought of my twin dying, I didn't notice my door opening. I only acknowledged another presence in my room when a soft voice called out.

"Kana-chan?"

I glanced in the direction the voice was coming from and said, "Reiko? What are you doing up at this hour?"

She stared at me with her big red-brown eyes identical to mine. I could see that she was still tired.

"I don't know. I felt that something was wrong with you, so I had to come, make sure you were alright."

That statement didn't surprise me, we could always tell when something was going on with the other. 'Maybe it's a twin thing, being a pureblood vampire helps strengthen the connection?' I didn't know, but every time one of us was hurt, sad, lying, anything at all, the other could feel it right away. I shouldn't be surprised that she came to my aid if she sensed my distress.

Giving a small smile, I said softly, "I just had a nightmare, nothing to be worried about."

She frowned at what I said, she didn't believe me. "Then why didn't you come to get me? Whenever one of us can't sleep, we always go to the other," she said.

And it was true, no matter what, for some reason, one of us always ended up in the other's bed. Even if we didn't have any nightmares. 'We have always been like this, taking comfort in the other's presence.'