011. the fear within

THE AVATAR'S BIG SISTER .

── ☆ ☆ ☆ ──

𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐙𝐈𝐍, Korra, Pema, the airbending children, and I sat around at the dinner table, bowing our heads down as Tenzin began our prayer. "We are grateful for this delicious food, for happiness, for compassion, and—"

"I'm not interrupting, am I?" questioned an unfamiliar male voice.

I quickly opened my eyes and found a man standing at the entrance of the dining room. He seemed to be middle-aged and with his attire resembled typical Water Tribe clothing. With his slicked back hair, broad shoulders, and a lingering smirk, the man held an air of power and high authority.

Tenzin's eyes flickered with recognition before he quickly stood up, eyebrows deeply furrowed. "This is my home, Tarrlok. We're about to eat dinner."

"Good, because I am absolutely famished," he casually remarked as the monk narrowed his eyes amidst a stern glare. "Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?"

Tarrlok challenged him with a teasing smirk. Tenzin looked as if he was having an internal battle with himself before sighing defeatedly.

"I suppose," murmured the monk as he sat back down and made a quick glance at Pema, who scowled. He simply raised his hands defensively and shrugged his shoulders.

Tarrlok smiled in victory and walked towards us, his eyes landing on Korra first. "Ah, you must be the famous Avatar Korra," he said with a grin before bowing his head down.

She quickly stood up from her seat and respectfully bowed as well. He straightened and shifted his attention towards me, flashing the same grin. "And who is this lovely lady?"

Although his aura of power made me feel suspicious and just a bit uncomfortable, I put up a polite smile and stood up to bow. "I'm Katrina, her older sister, sir."

He nodded and hummed as we all sat back down. "It's truly an honor to meet you both. I am Councilman Tarrlok, representative from the Northern Water Tribe." 

Ikki leans over the table towards Tarrlok. "Why do you have 3 ponytails?" She then sniffs the air. "Why do you smell like a lady? You're weird." 

"Well aren't you. . .precocious?" He hesitantly smiled at her, raising an eyebrow before he directed his attention to Korra, with Ikki continuing to glare at him. "So, I've been reading all about your adventures in the papers. Infiltrating Amon's rally, now that took some real initiative."