Chapter 6: The Mission Begins

The sun had risen and that was enough to wake the young prince.  The night had brought him an unnatural chill, so he was glad it had grown to be warm again.  He didn't expect anyone to be awake at this time, but he had heard rustling coming from the center of their camp site.  He sincerely hoped it wasn't a wild animal that had been making those noises, so he slowly moved the tent covering to see what what going on.

He glanced over at the fire, which had now been crackling, although he could have sworn it had died down over night. He then saw a pair of shoes stepping around the campsite, they were bright red and stood out among all of the green around.  His eyes trailed up, and he saw the curly green hair of Izuku Midoriya. He wasn't sure what he was up to, so he decided to linger in the sidelines for a little while longer.

The knight was mumbling to himself in a very loud manner, "So from what Iida said, we only have ten days.  And an arranged marriage?  I feel bad for him.  But then again... if I complete my mission then I will be praised and requested more.  However... no, what will happen if I try and stop the marriage?  Iida said King Endeavor isn't a gentle man.  However... nonono, I won't do anything rash.  I mean, it can't be THAT bad right?  I mean I've heard that the Princess is nice.  But what if... no, shut up Izuku." He was walking back and forth, holding a few things in his hands before crouching back over the fire. "But still, what was Todoroki going to tell me yesterday? It's bothering me. But I doubt he'll tell me, I AM just a lowly farmer after all. Jeez, I can't believe I'm actually on an S-Rank mission, it's so stressful." He went to a tree stump and slumped down on it, fist curled up under his chin.

"You're kind of loud."  Shoto finally had came out of his tent and approached Izuku, sitting on the tree stump right beside the one he had been sitting on.  The knight jumped up a bit in shock, he didn't think he'd be awake this early. A small chuckle was slightly audible from the prince, as he saw how awkward Izuku had been, "Sorry if I startled you."

He was embarrassed because now he knew that someone had heard him talking, "O-oh! I'm so sorry I was just talking to myself. I'm really sorry I-if I woke you T-Todoroki-Kun!" His hands were going in all sorts of directions in a nervous and embarrassed gesture. He wasn't sure how long the prince had been listening to him, but he hoped he didn't hear all of it.

"Don't worry, I woke myself up." He looked up at the sky, "But I did hear a bit of commotion out here. What were you doing, may I ask?" He looked back at Izuku who looked nervously back at him. He titled his head as he looked at how similar his hair color was to the trees around them. He kind of reminded him of a broccoli, but that was fine, because he was nice, unlike the unpleasant taste that vegetable left in the prince's mouth.

He was messing with his gloves, "I Uh... oh shoot! Right! I was fixing up food for everyone!" He then quickly went back to the fire and was frantically trying to find the eggs he collected from a nearby tree.  He realized he left them by his bag, which was situated on the other end of the camp site.  He sighed at himself, mumbling under his breath about how he thought he was a mess up.  He stood up and sped walked towards his tent, as to not spend more time on breakfast than he had to.  Before he knew it, his shoelace got caught on the bark of one the camp's log, tugging on his shoe, causing him to stumble and fall.

"Watch out!"  A reassuring hand wrapped around the back of Izuku's waist, and the other held his hand in place.  Shoto had been there to catch him right before he fell.  "Are you okay?"

Izuku was silent.  He didn't know what to say.  His face felt rosy as the prince held him midair.  The greenette looked into the prince's multicolored eyes, unsure what to make of the situation, "I-I um of course I a-am... t-thank y-you f-for t-t-that."

Shoto thought that catching someone like this was normal, for he saw it in some of the books he read when he was younger. He thought nothing of it and let Izuku regain his balance, planting his feet back on the ground. "Be a little more careful next time." He let go of the knight, letting him stand on his own once more.