19: Investigation Barriers

Yemisi
Bonn, Germany

Immediately after our classes were over at Law School, I wondered for a little moment what to do for the rest of the day when I immediately remembered that I still had to visit the old woman to see how she was doing and to know if I can get something fulfilling out of the visitation.

Lectures today were a breath of fresh air because my attention span was elongated, knowing that I'd met Christopher and laid off everything that was on my chest to him and now everything was left to him – to either work efficiently to save our marriage or wallow in the regret for the pain he has already caused me thus far.

I still loved and needed him but marriage was not supposed to be draining particularly not a marriage like mine when I always have a ton of work to focus on. The least I can have is peaceful matrimony so now I am just going to let it be. I will wait for him to get back while I keep my focus on finding the bastard who was among the six men that raped my younger sister.

I felt someone grab my shoulder and when I turned back, it was Myron I saw who had just been able to pass through the exit on time and catch up to my strides mysteriously.

"Let's go to Bradenburg," she said, panting.

"That was exactly where I had in mind to— oops..."

My phone startled me, abruptly cutting short my reply. Quickly, I checked the Caller ID of the incoming call to see who had the nerve to disturb me when the photo displayed my best friend, Karen.

We hadn't conversed since I arrived in Germany so seeing this call meant more to me than any other thing. It was one of those few important calls that I was willing to pick.

Giving Myron an apologetic glare, I explained to her that our intended voyage might have to be postponed for a more convenient and umpteenth time in the nearest future and she nodded, understanding me completely.

I thanked her and started to jog down the road where, luckily, vehicles were absent. My eyes searched for a good relaxation spot to have a fulfilling conversation with my ally but since there was no place like that forthcoming, I decided to spare her the stress of wasting any more airtime and call her back instead.

"Hello, yemisi!" her voice came to my hearing as she sounds relieved to hear my voice after a couple of weeks.

"Karen," I called her name like it was my lifeline. Indeed, it was. I wasn't used to depending on anyone but Karen was a backbone, a strong one; like that piece of bone that was needed to make your spinal cord function most appropriately.

I felt very bad for not depending on her like I was supposed to. It felt like I was deliberately declining that piece of bone needed to make my spinal cord function so I could stand properly.

Like I was willing to be crippled.

Worse off, I knew that if she hadn't called me today, I probably wouldn't have called her any time soon. I had a good amount of issues to solve but that didn't justify me abandoning a friend that genuinely cared and sacrificed for me. I hoped that she would read deeply into the tone in which I had used to call her name.

"Don't apologize for not calling me. I can tell that that's what you are about to do. I know you have a lot to deal with."

"Don't make light of my inadequacy, girl, " I scoffed, dismissively. "the least I owe you is an apology. You have a lot to deal with as well. I'm the worst friend ever and I'm sorry about that."

"Ugh. I'm accepting this apology because it's coming from you. I know I might never get another one."

"Yes and that's because I won't be a bad friend anymore. Come on, Karen! I might be uptight and strict but it doesn't mean I'm wicked or arrogant."