[Chapter 5] Apparition 3 & 4: The Misaki Stairs

"The Misaki Stairs.

You must never step on the fourth stair.

If you break that rule, you'll be dragged into the world of the dead. You'll be ripped into countless little pieces.

And at twilight, that stair... drips with the blood of its victims."

--------

[Your Name]'s POV:

"I can't believe you're actually playing cards with the Mokke..." I mumbled while doodling in my notebook, my back leaning against the wall.

"And? What about it?" The choppy, dark-haired boy replied, placing down another card.

"...Never mind."

I sighed and continued to doodle in my notebook. It had been a couple of days since Kou had made an appearance to us, he's been overprotective and constantly worried ever since. Always asking me if I was okay and if Hanako had been doing anything mischievous. Ah, he's so sweet and considerate.

I had also been assigned only three sheets of extra work for the student council now, both by Teru and Akane, which meant I could finish early and spend time with Hanako and Yashiro after school which was always eventful and different. Especially when you mingle with apparitions and supernaturals.

"Hanako-kun! [Your Name]-chan!" Yashiro ran in. "She's gone!"

|~*~|

Yashiro explained as both me and Hanako listened. Akane Aoi had apparently gone missing and nobody seemed to remember her. Now that I think about it, I hadn't seen the indigo-haired girl in class today at all.

"Missing? Hmm." Hanako hummed, continuing his card game with the Mokke.

"I need more than "hmm"! You weren't around all day!" Yashiro whined, the boy looking over and giving her full attention now. "And [Your Name]-chan is busy with other things like Student Council and I didn't want to disturb her... I ended up having to wait this late."

"Well, I'm busy too. Why not call the police?" Hanako suggested, I nodded in agreement.

"Well... it's weird. Aoi's flowers and desk and things are all gone too. And everyone says they don't know any Aoi." Yashiro worriedly spoke. I place a hand on her shoulder for comfort.

Suddenly, the sound of rubber shoes sliding across the wooden floorboards filled the atmosphere, causing an awful screeching noise as a familiar blonde skidded into the bathroom with his family relic clutched in his right hand.

"Hanako!" The young Minamoto bellowed, taking large strides towards the other boy.

"Kou-kun?! This is a girl's bathroom!" I squeaked out, surprised that he even came in here without a second thought.

The blonde ignored me and seized the brunette's shoulders whilst vigorously shaking him, the apparition giving out a few wails of distress. "Damn you! What'd you do with Yokoo and Satou from my class?!" Kou demanded.

"H-Hang on. Calm down." Yashiro said from the side, keeping her distance.

"I know you did it! You spread a bunch of weird rumours!" I wince at how hard Kou was shaking Hanako, the poor ghost looked as though his brain had just been scrambled like an egg. Though it was not like he had much of one to begin with. "Why doesn't anybody remember them?!"