TWO | CROSSED THE LINE

【𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐋】

BAKERLINE HIGHFEBRUARY 09, 08:30

BAKERLINE HIGH
FEBRUARY 09, 08:30

I reluctantly marched up to concrete hell for the first time in two weeks. I had not missed the squeals of teens and the overwhelming scent of too much deodorant. I made my way to my locker and heard my name being called.

"Bee!" No. No, God no, not him.

Francis. The most annoying person on this planet. 

He was the school quarterback. The living embodiment of the popular jock. He had his own fucking fan club, my sister included. His parents are somewhat wealthy, he lives in a nice house, he never gets in trouble, and he never leaves me alone.

I caught eyes with Camilla down the hall. She was in her cheer uniform, hair styled perfectly, looking me up and down, rolling her eyes as they flicked between me and her wannabe boyfriend. I gave her the finger. She turned her nose up, flicking her silky hair as she turned her back on me. 

"Hey, beautiful." Francis caged me in against my locker, peering down at me with a cocky grin. 

"Goodbye." I replied as I dipped under his arms and walked away from him. But, of course, I didn't escape him. He ran ahead to catch up with me, the smell of his cologne polluting my lungs. I looked up at him. He wasn't ugly by any means. But he was a boy. And a jock. He upheld the social hierarchies of high school. He was the problem. 

"What's the rush?" He asked cheekily.

"I have class now. And I am just so obsessed with school at the moment I don't want to miss it." I told him.

"What class?" He asked.

Shit. I didn't know. "Spanish." I guessed. 

"We both have calculus now. And you don't even take Spanish!" He told me. I clenched my jaw. 

"How do you know what I take?" I asked him sardonically. 

"Stop playin'." He told me. 

"What do you want, Francis?" I asked him. "We've kissed like, once. Maybe twice."

"Maybe twice?" He repeated, offended.

"Look- doesn't matter. Point is, we are not serious. We never were serious." I said. 

"I'm just tryna chill with you." He said, feigning innocence, holding up his hands. "You're not actually gonna go to class, are you?" He raised his brow.