Sinister

"Naruto!" I hear Sasuke call my name as I fall further and further. Soon, I will hit the wailing seas, eager to wash me away - out of existence.

It's funny. This is probably the first time I've heard his deep, often monotonous voice break like this. So afraid, and trembling with worry.

Even though it hurts, I let a small smile spread across my face. "Teme," I manage to utter out in an almost silent whisper.

But it hurts.

My entire - almost lifeless - body hurts. The howling wind burning my tanned skin. My sweaty, blood-drenched, tanned skin.

"Oi! Quit falling, usuratonkachi!"

Baka. I can't do anything. There's no stopping myself now. There's pain searing through my body. So much, I can't move at all.

My azure eyes are darkened, no longer lively. With every ounce of strength I have left, I shift my gaze to the sky.

Somehow, I am still finding the sky ever-so beautiful. Perhaps, it's more beautiful than it ever has been. It doesn't matter if I'm falling to my death. With the many different shades of baby blues, and the dapples of clouds painted on this canvas. The sun - alluring and glowing brightly. I realise now the sky and I are bidding each other our final farewells.

Well, at least I got to see an amazing view, I guess.

I hear Sasuke shouting again, but I can't turn to see exactly what he was doing. I wish I could see his face one last time.

Just one last time.

I am now only mere inches away from the water. I ready myself by inhaling my final breath of air. The smell of grass and morning dew. The sinister smell of sea salt.

I am prepared for my body to collide with the ocean. For a slight millisecond, it almost feels like my body is being compressed, as if the ocean is a barrier I can't cross. But that barrier is quickly broken, when the sensation of fierce wind dissipates and is instead replaced with the numbing cold of seawater.

I can no longer feel the pain. The pain in my wounds. The wind brutally slicing my skin. I can only feel numbness. In my early childhood, when I was not feeling pain, I would feel numbness. I never would have thought I would be fine dying numb.

It's too much effort to open my weighted eyes. I let this coldness of the water envelope me - swallow me.

That's why I don't expect for warmth to engulf me once more. Warm arms tightly wrap around me like I am something precious. Squeezing me tightly that I can feel the pain. The shock gives me enough strength to open my eyes slightly, and all I see is Sasuke.

His raven hair swimming in this ocean of despair. And his face. I can't read the expression on his face.

I get to see his face.

Then, I realise - no, not Sasuke... His body is too weak to swim back to the surface. The impact of him diving into the water to embrace me, and our weight combined only makes us sink faster.

I hate him. Why did he have to go with me? He could have moved on in life... became a great ninja, met a pretty girl and revive his clan. His goal in life.

That reminds me, I can't live to fulfil my own goal, can I?

...

... It's getting harder and harder for my chest to remain steady. I know it is for him too. We are running out of oxygen.

Sasuke only holds me tighter.

We're still sinking. The ocean is bottomless.

The last action my body allows me to perform is an exhausting, sloppy attempt to link my fingers with his.

... I feel a response.

_______________________

Word Count: 632