01, a new start

꧁ꕥ꧂

Cassie Allen sat in her social workers office, awaiting her uncle's arrival. After the death of her parents, Cassie was put into the hands of social services until they could find a relative to take her in. Cassie had kind of hoped that they wouldn't find a relative close enough. She was fine on her own. She didn't need anybody to replace her parents. And she didn't want anybody either.

It definitely came as a shock to the girl when her uncle said he'd take her in. Cassie was only four when she last saw Bob Newby, she could hardly remember him.

"Explain to me why i'm being sent off to a strange town with a strange man?" Cassie asked the social worker as she slouched in the armchair, loudly slurping the juice box she had been given.

"We've been over this, he's not a random man. He's your uncle Cassie. And from what I've heard, Hawkins is a lovely town." the woman told her, not bothering to look up from her paperwork.

"I don't even remember him."

"You'll get to know him."

"What if I don't want to get to know him?" the girl challenged. The social worker took off her glasses and pinched the bridge of her nose. She'd worked with challenging kids before, but none of them ever challenged her as much as Cassie. The young Allen girl stared at her shoes. She danced with her feet h set the table, her black, battered Converse providing entertainment as she waited.

There was a knock on the office door, and in came the man that would be taking cCassie away from the only life she's ever known.

꧁ꕥ꧂

After a mass of paperwork, Cassie had been rushed to the car by an eager Bob Newby. On the drive to Hawkins, Cassie learnt that her new guardian is a cheerful man who seemed very optimistic. She learnt his whole life story in the few hours they spent in the car together. However, Bob had learnt nothing about the girl he was taking in. He knew her name was Cassie Allen, and that she was thirteen, maybe twelve or something. Cassie made no attempt to talk to Bob. She held a polite conversation, but would never be the one to start it. Cassie also discovered that her uncle seemed deeply in love with a woman named joyce.

"Her son, Will, is about your age I think. He'll help you get settled. He also has some sort of group of friends. They'll make you feel welcome!' Bob explained. Cassie couldn't care less about Joyce's son and his cult. She just wanted to be back home with her parents. They finally arrived at Bob's small two bedroom home.

"It's small, but it's home! Now settle in, and then I can finally introduce you to the Byers! Joyce has been wanting to meet you for a while now."  ob spoke happily. Cassie just nodded politely in reply, and lugged her bag into her room. It was a fair sized room. It contained a bed, desk, set of drawers and shelves. There was also a small window seat in the middle of the room, with pale green cushions for comfort.

"I wasn't sure what colour walls you'd like. So I picked white. Jonathan helped me paint it. I was thinking you could maybe put some posters up, or pick a colour. The room is yours!" Bob said.

"Thank you Bob." Cassie said sincerely, turning to face him. "It's lovely." she told him. Bob smiled, looking very proud of himself. He pointed at various objects around the room, explaining that Joyce picked the small plants dotted around. Or that Will had selected the sage green accents for Bob to buy. Will and his friends had even donated a few unwanted comics of theirs to the unknown girl, not wanting her to be lonely before starting school. Putting down her bag, she smiled. She could get used to this room, she thought, as she ran to help Bob with the rest of her belongings.