05: the apology

꧁ꕥ꧂

The bell rung, and everyone rushed out of the AV room.

"We gotta show him to Mr. Clarke." Lucas told them all.

"What if he steals my discovery?" Dustin disagreed.

"He's not gonna steal your discovery!" Mike said to him.

"You know, I'm thinking of calling him Dustonious Pollywogous. What do you think?" Dustin asked Max.

"I think you're an idiot." the girl told him. Cassie turned and noticed Will trailing behind. Thinking nothing of it, she continued walking with the others.

꧁ꕥ꧂

It was break, and Cassie walked out of her previous class, Mike trailing behind her, trying to think of the best way to apologise.

"Will, you coming? We're going to show Dart to Mr. Clarke." Cassie said to the small boy she saw by the lockers. Mike walked up next to them too, watching as Will looked at them gravely.

"What?" Mike asked Will.

"It's about D'artagnan." Will spoke. Both boys walked off, leaving Cassie behind. The girl rolled her eyes and ran after them. Mike suddenly ran into Mr. Clarke's classroom, Will behind him. And Cassie still down the corridor.

"Stop! I'm sorry Mr. clarke. It was just a stupid prank!" he exclaimed, Cassie finally coming through the door. She watched as Mike picked up the contraption containing dart and ran out the door.

"We need to go, right now. Right now!" he yelled, and all of them ran out of the room.

꧁ꕥ꧂

Of course, only party members were allowed in the AV room to discuss whatever had Mike so alarmed. Max was banging on the door, telling them to let them both in.

"Guys, c'mon! Can we come in yet?" she yelled.

"No!" came Mike's voice from inside the room.

The girls just looked at each other, both sighing. They gave it another minute before calling out to them again.

"Guys c'mon!" Cassie yelled, banging a fist against the door.

"What's going on?" Max said before looking through her bag and pulling out a paper clip, using it to pick this door lock. Cassie just stood back and watched, not knowing what to do. Max finally got the door open, and Cassie watched as a slimy creature ran out and into the school's corridor.

"Holy shit!" Cassie yelled, clearly startled. The party ran out of the room and into the corridor, looking everywhere.

"What was that?" Max asked.

"Dart!" Mike told her. "You let him escape!"

"You attacked him!" Dustin argued.

"C'mon!" Mike shouted before running off into the corridor, Cassie and Lucas following closely behind. The pair turned to each other.

"Adventure time." they both said in sync, smirking as they ran to catch up with Mike.

꧁ꕥ꧂

The party had split up. Dustin and Will alone, Lucas with Max, and Cassie with Mike. Just her luck. Mike thought it would be prime time to apologise, but finding Dart was a priority at that moment in time.

"East is clear. No sign of Dart." Mike spoke into his walkie-talkie.

"Where'd you go? You little bastard."
Cassie said, trailing behind. She looked down the corridors, and saw a girl. She had short, curly hair, and wore an old looking jacket. She was staring right at Cassie.

"Cassie! C'mon." Mike called. She nodded, and ran after the boy. The girl was probably just another student, making Cassie shrug it off. Mike stalked off into the gymnasium, Cassie running after him.

"Wait up!" she called. Mike was looking around the room, and Cassie decided to check the locker room, despite the fact that it was the boys one. She looked around for a minute, before hearing footsteps. She turned and saw Mike, armed with a broom.

"Mike? What are you doing!"

"What are you doing? This is the boys room!"

"Then why are you in here?" Cassie said with a smile.

"Let's just keep looking. I've been wanting to talk to you." he said as he entered the gym again.

"So you can tell me how much you hate me?"

"I don't hate you."

"Sure, because you're always so nice to me Mike."

"I don't even know you."

"You don't want in me in the party!"

"We just don't need another member!"

"You talk about whatever like I'm not even here and then don't bother to tell me what's happening!"

"I'm sorry, okay? It's complicated."

"I know I'm dim, but I'm sure I can understand."

"It's just about last summer."

"With Will? And the Upside Down?" that caught Mike's attention. "You talk about this stuff all the time! Remember halloween? I was right next to you and Will. And what about El."

"Alright! El was someone we knew. I don't want you in the party as I don't wanna replace her. She's not here anymore. I'll explain the rest later."

"You promise?"

"Yes! Now can you please just give me a chance to apologise? I didn't mean what I said the other night."

"It sure sounded like it."

"Well I didn't, okay? And I've promised to tell you everything!"

"But it doesn't mean I'm in the party, right?" she mocked. Mike just looked down. "Hey. I'm joking. It's fine if you don't want me in your party, I understand now. And I forgive you." Mike looked up and smiled at her. "Let's go find this son of a bitch."

"Let's check under the bleachers." Mike said, and as soon as he turned, he heard Cassie yelp behind him, followed by a thud. He whipped his head around and saw Cassie lying in the floor. "Holy shit! What happened?!" he said, kneeling down beside her.

"I don't know, it was like a magnet pulled me up and then straight down to the floor, just pulling me down. I know that sounds crazy." she replied as Mike pulled her off the floor, frowning as she winced. "Let's just find dart."