Chapter 49

Evan
"He'll be okay Evan, he just lost a lot of blood," Jaren whispers shyly, planting a soft hand on my shoulder.

I still held Brian's limp body in my arms, feeling his warmth fade slightly. His breathing was shallow but it seemed that the blood had stopped spilling.

I glared at the man, hatred in my eyes. "How could you say that..? Are you a.. doctor now? Do you feel no remorse for what you did...? You piece of.."

I bit back a small croak, I knew he was right but the consequences of Brian's injuries is what was looming over me.

His left arm was completely broken from his fingers to his shoulder. The felines claws had done the worst damage, the left side of his face and eye was unrecognisable.

I couldn't look at him, it pained my heart too much.

"I can fix him Ev, I know prosthetics and I know robotics and I even made some for when Jon wan-"

"Please don't say his name.."

I leaned closer into Brian, hoping he would suddenly jump up to say it was all a staged performance and hug me reassuringly. Yet, he stayed limp in my arms, blood dripping from my hands.

"I only want to help," Jaren murmurs, moving Kryoz to his side. "We both do."

I stared at the two, my chest feeling nothing but sorrow. "Why? You're working with J-Jon aren't you? Haven't you two done enough damage?"

Jaren's eyes drooped and Kyroz looked away in shame.

Jaren knelt down, staring blankly into the white stage. "We never wanted to work with Jon. He was evil from the start, he was just too good at hiding it."

In the small moment of silence, I perceived Scotty's gentle whimpers from the benches, his hands hiding his face as he grieved.

Brock was sitting on the floor, gazing blankly at his gun. He owned a hint of hatred and fury in his eyes that could make any man cower.

"We want redemption. We can't take back what we've done and we will always remember that we helped in hurting you.. but please," Jaren squeezed my forearm gently. "Give us a second chance, we will make this right."

I didn't blame the two. They did help in Jon's wicked plans but they were much too innocent.

The devil I wanted to hear words from was the demon himself, Jon.

I wanted to stab him then shoot him, then nurse him back to health just so I could shoot him again.

I hold onto Brian a little tighter, wanting nothing more than vengeance in that small moment.

"You want to help?" I asked quietly.

Jaren flinched but nodded.

I take in a deep breath and sit myself up straight, glaring at the two men. "You will look after Brian for the time being. Kyroz will patch his wounds and Jaren will make sure everyone gets out of this building."

I gently hand the engineer Brian and slowly stood up, my legs cramping under me.

"What are you gonna do?" Kyroz questioned, scanning Brian up and down.

I signalled to Brock.

"I made a promise to someone," I speak modestly, grabbing my rifle and inspected it. "And I intend to keep it."