Chapter 2

Jamie's day did not get off to the best start. She was woken up by her little sister's demonic like screeches from downstairs, probably over something insignificantly small. Nevertheless, Elisa felt the need to blow her lungs out at five am sharp. Groaning and yawning, Jamie shuffled down the stairs to check on her and shut her up, but she was met by Elisa's nanny.

"I'm so sorry Jamie, her barbie fell in between the couch cushions and I-" She turned to snatch a pair of abnormally sharp scissors from Elisa's small hands. "She thinks that there are 'spiders' and 'monsters' in between them and I can't get it because I have to get her to school so-"

She was cut off yet again by a leaping Elisa, desperately attempting to seize the scissors from Alyssa's grasp. I rolled my eyes. "Stop and let Alyssa do her job. Do you want me to dress you instead?" Elisa and Alyssa's eyes lit up at once in the same pleading stare.

And so, Jamie was left to listen to her little sister's endless stories and begs to play games, all while trying to pull her arm through her sleeve. Of course, Jamie had school too, but it gave Alyssa time to get Elisa's things together and notify one of their drivers that they were nearly ready. Jamie hated drivers; the awkward silence, the stiff air of getting from point A to point B; and besides, she looked like a douche stepping out of a limo even though everyone else did too.

They all had their nice cars and limos and drivers, and while Jamie had the same access as they, she didn't feel the want to dress up and be fake. Asher always tells her that she should at least go shopping together and she would even pay for the clothes if only she went out. It always fell on deaf ears. Her band hoodie and designer jeans were always perfect to her. The bus was perfect to her. And she was going to miss it if her little demon didn't stop playing and hurry up.

After a quick goodbye to her sister and a quick shove of her homework into her backpack, she shoved her shoes on and checked her watch. 6:15. She was already running late.

When she finally got out the house, airpods shoved in each ear and hoodie thrown over her head, she ran to the bus stop just as she saw it pulling off. "STOP! Stop! Please?" She slowly slowed her speed as it kept going, going, going, and... gone.

Now she was left to her driver. Good God.

------

Jamie stepped out of her mothers white Jeep, because, fuck a Tesla, and with an awkward wave towards the straight faced driver, she sped walked into the building. She was met by Asher and Sage in the tardy office as they were both office aids. They had all known each other since the literal cradle, what with Asher being her sister and Sage being the daughter of Asher and Jamie's mother's "great friends." They did everything together, and even though they all had other mutual friends they hung out with, they had the strongest inner circle.

"Late again huh?" Teased Asher.

"Oh shut up," Jamie snapped back, scribbling out what could be interpreted as her name on the sign-in sheet, but could also be read as some ancient symbol used to summon demons. Her backpack was half slung over her shoulder, and pencils were eager to drop from the front pocket of the carrier with each labored breath. Life with asthma was not easy.

"Yeah Sage, shut up," Asher said. "So, what excuse are you gonna use today? I'm pretty sure 'my car crashed' isn't going to fly this time seeing as you're in perfectly good shape. How did you manage to find that sling anyways? It actually looked real."

Jamie rolled her eyes and quickly explained, in short breaths, what happened earlier.

"So are we gonna write that whole story down or..?"

"Oh shut up! It's true!" Jamie defended, snatching the tardy pass from Asher and sulking away.

Asher was having the time of her life cackling from behind the office desk, while Sage rushed to follow. They walked in silence for a few minutes, listening to Asher's witch like laughing, when Sage apologized. As usual.

"It's fine Sage," I repeated over and over to combat each regret filled apology. I didn't even know what she was apologizing for anymore.

"Yeah Sage don't apologize on my behalf," Asher laughed, pulling sage into a hug. "We were just playing I wasn't for real."

Sage nodded reluctantly. "I'm sorry." She said."I mean, oops, sorry! Oh fuck."

We fell into an uproarious laughter all the way to first social skills for Sage and Geometry for Asher and I. As we entered we noticed a new man seated at the teachers desk.

Odd. Our last Geometry teacher was fired for bribery and sexual assault and they've been bouncing from subs ever since. A sub had never sat in the actual teachers desk.

We sat down nevertheless, and pulled out the homework I had done because 'I'm not a class aid, and, besides when do you do anything productive anyways?' Asher wasn't wrong.

"Class, please, I would like your full attention." With that sentence, a silence fell over the classroom as everyone waited for the introduction every new sub gave.

I looked up too; ready to work. I surprised to see that he wasn't on the brink of death like the rest. When I walked in I wasn't paying the best attention but he, he was a work of art.

"Goddamn," Asher whispered oh so subtly. So subtly, in fact, that every head turned within a six foot radius. She sunk back into her chair. Her face was so red she looked like someone took a bee's nest to her face.

I turned my attention back to the sub. Back to his black wavy hair, his lively brown eyes... his strong arms...

Truthfully I probably spent the whole period just staring like a psycho. I was turned out of my thoughts by my phone.

He can step on me. Asher looked back at me knowingly. I sighed. I guess we were in agreement.

Yes he can. 😼 I replied.

The class was over before we knew it, but not without homework.

God fucking RAIL me!
——

Kinda embarrassed I wrote that but whatever I guess. Anyways have a lovely day!🌸