• 3 •

ALFIE AND I sat in an intense silence for the few moments that followed the phone call, a million thoughts running through my head.

"You came over to talk about Graham Needle," I said, breaking the silence as I met his eyes. "When John's here, we don't know each other. Don't mention the coke, or James Arnett."

Alfie nodded once, sitting up in his chair. Before I could serve him another warning, there was a quick knock on the door and it opened. I tried to look as nonchalant as possible, but couldn't hide my shock when I saw Tommy walk in instead of John.

"Tom?" I asked, holding back my sigh of relief and frowning as he shut the door behind him. "What are you doing here?"

Alfie looked back at him with surprise, and Tommy mirrored his expression. "I wasn't aware you had company," Tommy stated, walking further into the room.

"Tommy Shelby," Alfie said with a grin, standing up. He took Tommy's hand and shook it vigorously. "I've heard many things, brother. Many, many things."

"Tom, this is Alfie Solomons," I introduced before the both of them sat down. "I was just explaining our situation to him."

"Ah," Tommy said with a nod, a cautious look in his eyes. "Well?"

I gave Alfie an expectant look, raising my eyebrows and prompting him to speak.

"Uh," He began, diminishing my confidence. "Right. Well, seeing as your brother has gotten himself a gravestone card, your chances of survival are pretty slim."

"Slim, but possible?" I asked, tilting my head.

"There has been one that's lived," Alfie said. "And only one."

"Who?" I pushed, while Tommy took out a cigarette and put it between his lips before lighting it up.

"Gary Mallow," Alfie answered, sitting back in his chair. "He owned a few canned food factories up north. You know; olives, pickled shit. A few years ago, he tricked Phil Sullivan, and got away with quite a bit of his money. He ended up with a gravestone card just like yours, but he went on to be the first and only person to live to tell the tale."

"Can we talk to him? Ask him what he did to get out of it?" I questioned, sitting on the edge of my seat.

"He died a coupla' years ago," Alfie replied, making me sigh. "Had a heart attack. Poor bastard."

Tommy scoffed softly, "So what the fuck do we do with that information?"

"He left behind two sons; Tristan and Edmund," Alfie told us. "Instead of trying to talk to Graham Needle, I recommend you find the Mallow twins, and ask them what their dad did to get out of Sullivan's bad books and off of Needle's kill list. That might be your only way of stepping out the firing line, and protecting the rest of your family."

Tommy and I shared a look as he blew out a large cloud of smoke, an unnerving uncertainty in his eyes that made me realise that, for the first time in a long time, Tommy Shelby was concerned.

"I CAN'T believe you dragged me here," I grumbled, looking around at the other parents in the large garden. "This is gonna be terrible."

John, keeping a fake smile on his face, placed his hand on the small of my back. "I think you owe me this after disappearing on me for an entire day."

"I told you I was sorry," I whined, holding back an eye roll when I saw a couple approach us.

"I'm so glad you could make it, Mrs Shelby!" The mousy-haired woman exclaimed, grinning widely. "You're always busy during these get-togethers, but it's lovely to finally meet Johnny's wife!"