Chapter 1

(A/N this is my first fanfic ever. Wish me luck and this first chapter sucks a lot sorry! it gets better I swear. Ok i'll shut up and let you read, and please comment your thoughts ~K)

Alex's POV

"OOF" I screamed as I rammed headfirst into someone.

"Watch where you're going, punk!" someone with a slightly southern accent reprimanded

Normally I'd turn around and scream at the jerk, but it was my first day at college and I wasn't exactly planning on having a reputation as a bully. Plus, I had not been myself since I received word three days ago that my cousin Peter had killed himself

So, I put my head down and got on my knees to pick up my books.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you, short stack" the guy yelled.

I bit back the tears that threatened to spill and shoved the last of my papers into my backpack. Peter would have laughed and told me to yell back. But Peter left me. Peter didn't know anything, and he took the coward's way out.

"Leave him alone, Jefferson" another voice called.

"And why should I? Is he your boyfriend?"

I looked up. The guy I'd run into had dark skin and a poofy afro, and he was wearing a magenta trench coat. The guy who'd told Magenta Guy to shut up was really cute.

Like...really cute. He had evergreen eyes and a million freckles and curly brown hair pulled up into a ponytail. I started blushing and I stared down at my NON-STOP sweater.

"C'mon Jemmy! These jerks aren't worth our time" Magenta Guy said, and walked away with a little guy trailing behind him.

The guy who saved me walked towards me. "Hey there...you ok?"

I looked up shyly. "Yeah, I'm fine"

He reached out a hand to help me off the ground. "I'm John. What's your name?"

"Alex" I muttered, staring at his hoodie rather than his face, because his eyes distracted me. His shirt was a cartoon turtle wearing the gay flag as makeup. I felt hope fill my heart as I realized he was gay.

"Nice. I'm so sorry about Thomas over there, he's a jerk to everyone except his boyfriend James."

"It's fine" I said "Do you know where dorm 1776 is?"

John broke into a grin. "That's my dorm! And our neighbors on either side are my best friends!"

I smiled just because his smile was so cute and contagious. "Sick!"

Oh my god did I just say that?

"Ok Alex, let's go to our dorm, I'll invite the squad over and we can binge some Disney movies. And Peggy can decide if she likes you. Pray that Peggy likes you." John said.

*time skip to like just before the party*

"Alex, what are you writing?" John asked. I looked up from my notebook where I'd been furiously scribbling for -according to the clock- the past 4 hours.

I blushed. "Nothing...just, uh, school stuff"

God Alex, real smooth. In actuality, I'd been writing about John. See, that's what I do, when I care about something, I write about it. That's what got me off of that God-forsaken caribbean island, Nevis, and it's what got me full room and board here at King's College.

A knock sounded at the door. "OPEN UP GAY TURTLE!" came a voice.

"Alex, these are our neighbors on the right, and just- ok they're weird. Fair warning" John said, before opening the door. "Herc, I swear if you call me gay turtle one more time-"

*i am horrible at writing dialogue so tiny time skip to after everyone arrived*

"So, let's go around the room and introduce ourselves to Alex, and then we can play truth or dare to determine if Alex is worthy of our friendship." said one of the Schuyler sisters, who were our neighbors on the left, the one named Peggy. The one i have to impress according to John.

We went in a circle, going from the person directly on my left and continuing left.

"Hi, I'm Eliza Schuyler, the middle sis of us three sisters here. I'm bisexuel and currently dating Maria Lewis."

"Hey, I'm Angelica, but most people call me Angie, and I'm the oldest, I'm literally like the only straight one and I like Thomas Paine."

"AND PEGGY. Sorry i do that a lot, I'm the youngest sister, and i'm also lesbian, and I like Ma- uh, never mind..."

"Hi, I'm Hercules Mulligan, and I'm dating the Frenchy over here."

"Bonjour, I am ze "Frenchy" as 'ercules likes to call moi, and je m'appelle Laf, for short."

"And I'm John Laurens, your roommate, and I love turtles, I'm gay but totally single"

I turned to the odd assortment of people who were apparently going to be my friends. They were all staring expectantly at me. I realized only John even knew my name. "Oh, sorry. I'm Alexander Hamilton, but my friends call me Alex..at least they would if i had any friends. I'm bisexual, single, and I love writing"

Peggy smiled. "Now, Alex, the initiation."

"The-the what?!" I said, panicked. Eliza laughed.

"Pegs, stop scaring him. Alex, we just ask you a bunch of questions to see if you fit in our friend group. Most people do, we only ever exiled Thomas Jefferson. Other than that, we're basically neutral to Madison, Charles Lee, Samuel Seabury, George King III, Thomas Paine, and James Reynolds...well actually we hate James Reynolds. We're really close with Maria, Aaron, and Theo, but they couldn't be here tonight." Angelica explained.

I leaned back on the couch. "Um, alright"

*timeskip to the end of Peggy grilling Alex*

I was exhausted, but at least everyone accepted me. I'd spilled everything about my depressingly horrid childhood, from when I was born out of wedlock, to when my father left, to when my mother died of illness, to when my brother drowned during the hurricane, to a few days ago, when my closest relative killed himself.

"What time is it?" Angie groaned. Then her and her sisters all sat up very straight, muttering 'oh no'

John, Herc, and Laf all jumped on the nearest piece of furniture and screamed "SHOWTIME!!"

From the floor above us, Angie's ex boyfriend Aaron yelled "Like I said, SHUT UP"

Peggy walked around behind the guys and pushed them all to the floor one by one. "Ok I'm making popcorn, Eliza, put on a movie"

When Peggy returned, all of us were squished onto the couch, and we only managed to fit because Laf sat on Herc's lap. I was squished against John and I'm not even going to pretend I didn't like it. Eliza unpaused the movie and we all settled in to watch The Little Mermaid.

About halfway through the movie, my eyelids began to feel heavy, and I dropped my head on John's shoulder. I dozed off soon after that. I was thinking at the time that maybe, if I could stay with John, then college wouldn't be so bad.