Chapter 1: Presence

The weather was cloudy and crowd of people gathered together to hear a speech in the stage.

“No understood him until someone did

No one hit him until something hit.

Young soul,

A young man who protested

And devoted for this school

Is now passed away from eight years…

Abir Hussein who was born in February 1994 and Died in November 2003.

Make his soul rest in peace.

Now, the country is in danger…

We will pray that our country’s future should be even brighter than what we see today.”

After the ex-Principal Mr. Yaman made the speech, everyone clapped their hands and some of the ex-students like Rubina, Shohag, Tahrima, Salin and Rashid put their heads down in the corner of the backdoor stadium, while Yaman spoke in the stage. Rubina was tall, pale but there was a beauty in her face. Shohag was as usual but looked like a healthy and clean-shaved person wore a suit and Rashid wore a blazing jacket. He had a spiky hair and bespectacled in a square framed glasses. Suddenly, Rubina’s cellphone was vibrating. She picked up the phone from her purse and asked “hello, who is it?”

A female voice replied “Miss Rubina Syed Khan is that you?”

Rubina said “your voice seems familiar. Are you Ruma Miss?”

She answered “yes, Rubina”.

Rubina asked “how did you get my number?”

Ruma said “I will explain it to you later. Come to the airport right now! Quickly”.

Rubina rushed through ‘Shahjalal International Airport’ (Bangladesh Airport). She saw a familiar figure and when she cried, Ruma saw her. Ruma was excited.

“Rubina, you have grown so tall and beautiful!” said Ruma.

“You are still as young as I have last seen you. How have you been to America?” answered Rubina.

“It was good and it is also vague sometimes” said Ruma.

Then they went to Rubina’s apartment. Her bedroom was a bit untidy and it had the posters of Christian Bale (the famous Hollywood actor for the some people who do not know him) and the Joker from The Dark Knight.  Ruma looked upset. When Rubina looked at her, she asked “why are you upset?”

Ruma replied “I am mourning for that child’s death. You knew that I became mentally disabled and forgot everything except Abir. I was clearly out of mind. I was acting like a child. Then my father sent me to America for the special treatment. I nearly forgot that how many years I have been there… 8 years indeed. My psychiatrist, Dr. Nidhi made me cure. I am completely all right but Abir’s demise is effective”.

Ruma patted her back. She said “calm down sister, my lovely and understand that these hippy days are gone and it’s time to overcome”.

Their gossip was interrupted by a knock from the door.