ch 1; but you're human tonight.

Lightning lit the night skies in brilliant streaks, sheets of rain smashing against any surface they came in contact with. It was supposed to be a good idea; going off to Hogsmeade, drinking butterbeer till late at night at the Three Broomsticks, just to celebrate their fourth year exams finally ending.

It had been a particularly long week- at least for Harry who is not only responsible for his passing the exams but also Niall's. Harry's lost track of how many times they've been up at night, revising till the ungodly hours and how many times Niall has fallen asleep at breakfast. To going over the ingredients of specific Potions to learning Transfiguration with Liam. To say the least, it has been exhausting. Finally, it's done now and he doesn't know what he's more grateful for- for carrying both of them through the week or actually maintaining his sanity throughout the week.

Perhaps, both. Or so he thinks when he's running with Niall, trying to rush into the Castle and away from this wet weather which is duly accompanied with the cold. As their shoes pound heavily across the ground, mud splashes up their legs. Brilliant, just brilliant.

"Can't seem to catch a fuckin' break, can ya?" Niall quips, his blonde hair dripping wet as they both dart their way past trees and bushes.

"It was your idea. We could've just stayed in, "Harry gets out and his pace quickens until steps become leaps. The wind whips his curls back from his face. He can feel his heart thudding in his chest which matches the sound of the thunder when another lightning strikes.

"And do what? Practice Quidditch with Liam? No, thanks," Niall retorts and uses his cloak to shield himself from the rain by raising it over his head. The ground blurs below them. They continue running for what seemed like longer than it should have.

Harry thinks Liam would be the only person who would go through exams and still return to the pitch for practice the next day. There is a reason why he is the most sought after Keeper in Hufflepuff, afterall. And if Liam wasn't his best friend since first year, there's not much reason why such a sensible person would be friends with Niall and him. But he figures Liam likes having them around, for Niall's carefree banter and amplified personality could turn around any atmosphere of tension and Harry did practically teach Liam Divination.

"There's plenty of things we cou-"Harry is cut off by the sight of something- or someone. He stops dead in his tracks, shoes already covered in mud and grass. Niall who was right behind him, lets out a muffled groan as he collides with Harry.

There's someone out in the rain in the night, Harry squints. There's only so much you can see in this pouring, drizzling rain and not to add, the torch flame alongside the wall of the Castle is not much of a help. Niall seems to catch the direction of Harry's gaze.

"Should we check if they need help?" Harry asks, water dripping from his chestnut curls which is still held in place with his headband.

"Fuck, no. This week was bad but I haven't completely lost my mind," the Irish lad protests, the only thing keeping their clothes from getting wet being their water resilient cloaks, thanks to Niall's knowledge of charms.

"But- let's just, let's just go look, yeah?" Harry furrows his brows and there's a slight downturn of his lips in a frown, like he wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing the person is out here. Whoever it is. And Niall knows that of all people, Harry would probably not be able to sleep. His persistence and ability to dive right into things and situations are what made Niall be so fond of him. There's times where you can clearly see why Harry was put in Gryffindor instead of Hufflepuff. He would've fit in both but his spontaneous stirs of action where he isn't afraid to act on his morals and his penchant to seize opportunities to make changes are what really put him in this house with Niall.