ch 6; my tongue is a weapon.

Zayn has always liked duels in Charms class. Professor Flitwick just doesn't seem to do them more often. There's just something about the practicality of magic that reels him in and any chance to show what he's capable of, is never a missed opportunity.

The rules of the Duel are simple: fight till disarmed of your wand.

But today, he's bored of it already.

Cho Chang was the seventh student to be disarmed in the last three minutes. To be quite honest, he hates that some of them are not even trying. Because who would be disarmed by the typical disarming spell? Dean Thomas, that's who. Zayn thinks he might catch a nap in the back seat of the class before it's his turn or even Louis'. Or maybe, they both will face each other off. Yet again.

He even dozes off in his seat, properly shielded from the Professor's eyes because a few students like to crowd and watch the duels. It's a wasted effort.

"Expelliarmus!"

Zayn hears. It wakes him up from nodding off because it's Louis who is making his way to the front space of the class after being called upon. He might as well watch it. After joining the mini crowd, he finds that the last spell was cast by Harry. He rubs his hand over his face, as though trying to remain awake. And before he knows it, he's standing at the front of the crowd who look almost on edge as he is.

Professor is sat on his desk, overlooking the whole thing and more students have gathered around to witness it. It's Louis Tomlinson up against Harry Styles. And Zayn's not wrong when he thinks it could be interesting. The students cheer when Harry dodges Louis' spells, a bit of bad technique but it works for him.

Louis looks fascinated, a mixture of surprise mixed with something pleasant. Like he wasn't expecting Harry to last before him. And Merlin knows, Zayn wasn't either.

This goes on for quite a few minutes because Louis is relentless like that. The lad can't ever just give up but Harry's putting up a tough fight too. So far, he has been defensive. Too defensive. When Harry had told Zayn about how he wants to use his spells to do good, it made Zayn scoff. It's just a duel, you're not killing Voldemort, Harry. So, it's no surprise that Louis finally has a hold on him, Harry is one spell away from being disarmed.

"Nebulus," Harry murmurs carefully, a stirring black fog casting out of his wand.

Zayn didn't realize he was holding his breath. He had only talked about the spell with Harry a couple weeks ago, it's beautifully and utterly a part of the Dark Arts. He didn't know Harry could perform it until now.

"What are you doing, Haz-" comes a whisper beside Zayn. It doesn't shock him to know it's a nervous Liam Payne, clearly attempting to stop Harry from using that spell. It's not harmful, though. The fog only causes the opponent confusion, a cover for when you want to trick the opponent and they won't see your spells coming.

"Don't distract him, Payne," Zayn hisses, knowing full well that spells like this need focus.

Liam frowns, "But he should be careful, he doesn't know what he's doing-"

"He knows," Zayn murmurs, gaze set on Harry who takes a step forward and casts the black fog around Louis, the professor watching them intently, "I told him about it."

Liam does a double take on Zayn, face illuminated with disbelief; evidently flabbergasted. He opens his mouth to say something but at that moment, Louis is disarmed. Zayn smirks, patting Liam's shoulder once before heading to face Harry.

The first few minutes, they go at it like they've stepped into the duel with an intent to kill each other. Every spell better than the last, more powerful. Harry's really in his element. Casting spells with such surety as if he's the one who created them. But Zayn's never been one to hold back.