Chapter Thirteen

Baisan and I slowly lowered Castin onto his pile of blankets. Despite how gentle we were being, my heart was racing. I was sure Baisan felt the same. Worse, even. Castin was his best friend, and now he... I let the thought trail off as I crouched down next to our injured brother. Baisan stalked off as soon as we put him down, to pace anxiously in the corner. I distracted myself by looking over the binding on Castin's waist. It was well done, still tightly in place. I barely took notice of Kassia kneeling beside me, but then I tore my gaze from Castin to look at her.

"The girl who was with us?" she asked quietly.

"Stria," I replied.

Kassia looked over at the two girls. "Stria," she called out, breaking the near perfect silence. Stria flinched and looked over at us. Her eyes were red from crying, but she had managed to stop the tears. Kassia motioned for her to join us, and she did.

"What?" Stria asked shakily, clearly holding back more tears.

I was aware of Baisan staring at us from across the room, and Ninavi wrapping her cloak around herself as if it would protect her from what was happening. Kassia reached across Castin to take Stria's hand.

"He's special to you," Kassia said gently. "So you will be able to reach him best. We want him to wake up, so you should talk to him. Remind him that we're here for him and draw him away from Siour's chariot." Siour, the god of darkness and death. I couldn't help but wince at the sound of his name.

Stria nodded solemnly and pulled her hand away from Kassia to pick up Castin's. She paused nervously before beginning to talk. It felt awkward sitting there, listening to the personal things she was telling him. I didn't know how to help, but then Baisan hissed my name. As quietly as possible I got to my feet—somehow making too much noise seemed disrespectful—and joined Baisan in his corner.

"Do you think he'll make it?" he asked in a whisper.

I shrugged. "I think if he wakes up, he'll survive."

Baisan nodded. "When the others get back with the bandages, I'd like you to go out and try to find some sort of medicine that will be useful. I trust your judgment more than theirs."

"I'll do my best."

"I know," Baisan said quietly. "Who is she?"

"Her name's Kassia, she helped me fight off Arow. You know how he doesn't like being outnumbered. She wrapped Castin's wound too."

"She did a good job, she might know something about medicine," Baisan said. We both knew it was a faint hope, but at least it was something. "Take her with you. But don't believe everything she says until we know who she is."

That was common sense, but I didn't say anything. Baisan was worried and of course he was going to overthink things. Instead, I nodded. "Of course."

Noise at the entrance to our home startled all of us, and we all glanced at the door. Leker burst in, his arms wrapped around a bundle of clean bandages. Orrun followed him a moment later. Both were panting, as if they had run the whole way.

"We got the best ones we could find," Leker explained with a quick glance towards Baisan and me. Then he went over to the others and dropped the bandages near them. "Are they good?"

Kassia nodded. "Yes, they're perfect. Can you get me some water so I can clean his wound?"

Leker nodded and ran out of the room, just as Orrun approached us and handed over the pouch of money. Baisan put it into my hand. It felt distinctly lighter than it had before, but it was still a large sum of money for us. I slipped it under my cloak.