Chapter Eighteen

We left the Order and went to the city's main jail. It was a place I had always hoped to avoid, but part of me was resigned to the fact that I'd likely die there. I just never expected to be caught so soon. I was dragged through the front gate and down multiple hallways before the guards stopped and one of them unlocked a cell door.

It was cold and dark, but so was almost every building I'd ever lived in. I was tossed in unceremoniously, and only just managed to not land on my hurt wrist. In an instant I was on my feet, facing the door and the guards, though I knew I would be powerless if they decided to hurt me. I held my injured arm near my body where I could protect it. Vaguely, I was aware of a few other people in the cell with me, but I could only deal with one threat at a time.

The two guards didn't close the door right away. Instead, the one who seemed to be the leader stood in the doorway, while the other leaned back against the metal bars that made up one side of the cell. By the way they were eyeing me, I knew they were hoping I'd give them a reason to beat me. It was well known that bored guards would turn to petty criminals for amusement.

"That lord told you to leave me alone," I pointed out, managing to disguise the nervousness I was feeling.

The two guards exchanged a glance and then began chuckling. "Do you even know who that lord was?" the leader asked me.

I shook my head. "No." After a moment's thought, I timidly added, "Sir," hoping that it would please him.

"That was Lord Tandrix of West Draulin. I highly doubt he'll want to waste time with the likes of you. He'll probably ask us to question you ourselves."

Probably not, but I kept up the scared prisoner look. It really wasn't difficult. "Oh, is he important?" The less I seemed to know, the better. Despite the pain radiating up my arm and the way the guards were looking at me, I had to think ahead.

"Is West Draulin important?" The leader laughed, and it took him a moment to continue. "The closest you'll ever get to royalty, boy."

"Maybe the closest we'll ever get," the second guard added.

"We could very well guard for the king."

"Well, yes. But he probably wouldn't talk to us personally as Lord Tandrix did."

"I suppose so," the leader said.

"So..." I said carefully. "So if he's so important, and he told you not to hurt me, you probably shouldn't risk it. It seems to me that someone so close to being royalty could easily have you two arrested yourselves if you displeased him. Couldn't he?"

The two guards looked at each other, but this time I detected a sense of uneasiness. Without another word to me, they turned away. The door clanged shut and the lock snapped closed, and they walked away talking quietly to each other.

Once their footsteps had faded away I rushed forward. There was no telling how long the guards would be gone, so I had to be quick. I reached my good arm through the bars and ran my fingers over the lock, trying to understand what it looked like. Until I could move the fingers of my right hand, I wouldn't be able to pick it, but at least I would be prepared.

"Can you open it?"

I'd almost forgotten about the other people in the cell. Startled, I spun around. There were three other men locked up with me. They were all Native. Two appeared to be around Tannix's age, one of them possibly part Telt, and the third...

"Arow."

"Finn."

I glanced at the bars behind me. "I can try to open it."