𝘰𝘯𝘦 : a surprise guest

"You want me to what?"

I shifted on the couch in the League of Villians' hideout nervously. Dabi's cerulean eyes were fixed on me as he sighed.

It had been nearly four months since our late night meeting, and those oceanic orbs of blue and his smokey low voice enamored me to the point of no return. Between the one night stands and late night romantic antics, he and I were stuck in the enchanted land of "fuck buddies."

He began to slowly pace back and forth in front of me. "Consider it a trade off," he began. "You make Hawks vulnerable and get details about him," he paused, walking closer to where I was sitting, "and I can guarantee your safety." His face was inches from mine, and I felt my face raise to a scorching temperature. His smug look reminded me of how I became so entangled in his villainous antics, and how I gave myself away to him so easily because of that face.

"I would do it myself," he lectured on, "but the boss has me out doing other things. You know how he gets, right? And if you want it done, you've gotta do it right. And with that cute little face of yours," he paused to tap my nose, "you're the perfect player for this position."

I sheepishly gazed back at him, wondering why he would suggest that I should sleep with a pro hero for intel. "So you're fine with me..." I trailed off, not really needing to finish my sentence.

"As long as you know your place in this ordeal, I don't really care." He remained in close proximity to my face, and my chest painfully tightened. I knew he was an apathetic person, but I at least wanted him to feel some sort of responsibility for our estranged relationship. My timid gaze was all I could offer as my input. "I've been doing my homework, and he should be in town in a few days. A meet-and-greet over the weekend. You can have the rest of the day to think about it, but if I don't like your answer, then we might have a problem."

I didn't know how to respond. My gaze casted down at my folded hands resting in my lap. I felt frustrated and small, but I knew saying no would cause me more trouble than what I would've liked.

"I know you won't let me down, doll," Dabi purred in an attempt to sway me while cupping my cheek. My eyes actively resisted tears, and I gave a short and slow nod. A low, approving hum vibrated in his throat. "Such a good girl."

※   ※   ※   ※   ※   ※

The lunch rush had died down, and I was wiping the bar counter down with an old rag. My mind wandered around the deal I had with Dabi. He told me to go to a meet-and-greet Hawks was hosting in town on that Saturday, and I pondered about how the probability seemed low of the plan actually working, considering the setting. There would be plenty of fans and admirers, not to mention security guards, that would make the task more unappealing than it already was to me.

The diner's overhanging door bell rang and interrupted my thoughts, alerting that a customer had entered. I was beyond accustomed to the sound of the chiming, but the sound of gasps from patrons pinged at my ears, and my curiosity piqued. My focus broke from my task to see who stood at the entrance.

Crimson wings were tucked neatly against a tan pilot jacket, and a pair of boots thudded on the linoleum floor. I fought the impulse to drop my jaw at the sight. What on Earth? He wasn't supposed to be in town yet. It was Monday, and the meet-and-greet wasn't until Saturday. There he stood, however, and he seated himself in a booth near a window. His wavy, golden locks bounced as he strolled. A pit formed in my stomach as reality hit me squarely in the face: Hawks was right in front of me, in my diner, now being crowded by customers for an autograph. What was he doing here, in town, days before he had to be?

Before going to his table to wait on him, a million of thoughts about what actions I should take dashed one by one through my head. Would Dabi be pleased or upset if I began the scheme now? This sort of setting would be more fit to approach him, right? How should I go about this, anyway? The sudden pressure I felt made me hesitate. Every "what if" statement imaginable flooded my mind in a panic.

No. If I wanted to do this right, then it had to be now.

I made the rapid decision to leave the rag behind and make my way to the Pro Hero.

What better time than the present?

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※