chapter 18

'are your mom and dad... dead?'

.

.

.

"Hey," Hope said the next morning as she looked at Georgie who was lying in her bed staring at the ceiling. "How long have you been awake?"

Georgie shrugged a little as she tilted her head to the side to look at where her roommate was slowly adjusting to the sunshine in the room, having a pretty decent sleep for the first time in a while. She sat up slowly, Hope noticing that she was fully clothed and had clearly been awake for longer than just a few minutes.

"Before the sun rose," Georgie admitted as she stretched her back a little, rubbing her neck as she watched Hope get up and head into their shared ensuite. The girl stepped into the shower but continued their conversation - something that they had both became incredibly comfortable with doing. "I just didn't get that much sleep."

"I'm surprised," Hope teased, her voice a little louder to combat the running water of the shower she had turned on. "Thought you'd be having sweet dreams of Josie asking you to be her girlfriend last night."

"You heard that?" Georgie asked, blushing even though Hope couldn't see her reaction. It made sense that the girl would have heard the moment that Josie had officially asked her out, but the thought hadn't even crossed her mind until now.

"Yup," Hope said, her voice teasing and light as she dropped another bombshell. "And so did one rather protective blonde Saltzman too. I truly wish you the best, because you'll need it when the wrath of Lizzie Saltzman comes for you to warn you about all the ways she'll make you suffer if you break her sister's heart."

Georgie groaned loudly as Hope laughed, slamming herself back on to her pillows in a huff as she realised that Hope was right - Lizzie would want to have that protective big sister talk at some point and while Georgie had utterly zero intentions of every doing anything to hurt Josie, she knew that Lizzie's threats were nothing if not a promise.

Just as Hope re-enetered their room wrapped in a towel, their door was barged open and both girls screamed out in surprise. Landon entered, his hand immediately rising to cover up his eyes as he noticed Hope was only in a towel and yelling at him to get out along with Georgie who was screaming about how he didn't even knock.

"SORRY! I just wanted to tell you the bad news - Dr Saltzman lost the urn."

_____

The rest of the morning passed pretty uneventfully for Georgie. There wasn't much any of them could really do while Dorian went and tried to locate the urn by diving into the river where a possessed Alaric had thrown it off a bridge into. She was kinda glad that it had been him who did it as it almost felt like he wouldn't be able to judge any of them for the things they did when they were under the slugs' possession since he had done the worst.

In fact, the most eventful the morning got was when Alaric stopped her in the corridor after she had listened into him and Kaleb having a conversation about how Kaleb was joining him and a small group of them on a spring break trip to recover the urn. Georgie loved the Saltzman's and she loved Hope, but there was no way in hell she was about to spend more time than utterly necessary trapped on a road trip with them and Dorian and Emma - especially since she was still trying to avoid the wrath of Lizzie that was imminent.

"Nope," Georgie replied before the man even had the chance to open his mouth, watching as his eyebrows raised in surprise. "I am not coming on your spring break retrieval trip."