Chapter 3

Varian woke up to paws pouncing on his chest. Giving a breathy gasp, he doubled up, almost immediately sagging down once again in his pillow when he spotted only an overexcited Ruddiger padding rapidly on his blanketed body.
      "Calm down, boy." He murmured sleepily, grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and plopping him onto his matted floor "I know how to wake up."
      The young man wriggled into a sitting position, the soft cover pooling around his waist as he stuck his knees up, wrapping his arms around them. Golden light scattered around his bed as the first ray of the pearly glow dawned his flat. Looking at his alarm clock with bleary eyes and realising it was only 7 a.m, Varian groaned, his shoulders slumping in sudden exhaustion as he gave a weak glare at his pet that was sprawled across his floor. Despite his gut telling him to sleep again, though, he sat up straighter, deciding he'd rather go for a walk at the dock than curl up and wait for yet another restless sleep to overcome him. He kicked off his duvet, frowning slightly as it got tangled in his feet for a moment, before standing up from bed, a sudden lightness in his tired limbs catching him by surprise. He stepped over to his bathroom with more liveliness than he'd expected, and found a small smile etching across his lips when his brain caught up to the date—Saturday. It was Saturday! He didn't need to go to work, what a joy! The young nurse wondered what could possibly go wrong on a brand new weekend as he hummed a light song while squirting out toothpaste. He was just gonna head out for a stroll, perhaps a snag a cup of hot chocolate and a couple of cakes for him and his loyal raccoon, and stay warm in his flat and bury his face in books. His smile grew wider as his eyes started to hold a faraway look, his hand clenching subconsciously as minty toothpaste dribbled out, causing his poor toothbrush to drip with pale green paste.
      After a real quick breakfast, he ran a hand through his thick clumps of hair, smoothing it down without bothering to look for a brush. Slipping on his daily coat and flapping a scarf around his neck, he bent down to gently ruffle Ruddiger, smiling as that earned a soft contented squeal from the stripped raccoon.
      "G'bye for now, bud."
      Ruddiger gave an approving nod and Varian stepped out of his front door, grinning as he picked an apple out of his pocket, letting it drop limply out of his loose hand and roll loudly onto the floor. The bells on the door knob jangled as it was swiftly closed. The young man could hear a surprised and delighted chitter, then a series of snorting and chomping. He let out a hearty chuckle, before making his way down the stairs.
      The chilly almost-winter air rushed at the nurse's face as he pulled his scarf higher, covering his nose. The nearby dock sat quietly above the turquoise surface of the gentle sea, and Varian padded towards it without hesitation, eager to taste the sweet salty air. Wandering thoughtlessly around the shore, the young man recalled that this dock was, if his memories of his grandma's stories didn't fail him, here since his grandparents were about his age. It was a bit too old, if you asked him, and he would appreciate it if they could get it repaired and all built up again. There were more than several cracks creeping across the rocky edges, and one of them was unusually deep, glaring at Varian and catching his attention. He, out of curiosity, crouched towards the said spot, poking his bare fingers into the dark hallows. Crumbled rocks bit at him.
      "Ooh, ow, that hurt." He muttered, yanking his bruised fingers out. As he shifted to stand up, a sickening snap sounded behind him. His head whipped back in alarm and his eyes widened as a scream died in his throat. An angry crack was snaking towards him, cutting the piece of concrete he was on cleanly from the rest of the platform. The chunk of rock dropped, and he dropped too. Varian managed to choke out a strangled yell, before plunging straight into the water, completely under.
      People gathered around the dock, some crying and yelling, some gaping in a mixture of shock and horror. They tensed as the young man bobbed out of the sea, unforgiving water lapping wildly into his gasping mouth.
      "Help!" Varian coughed, staring past his soaked bangs with sheer fear as he flailed and lashed, cheeks turning blue.
     "P-please, help!!"
      He gulped down a lungful of ice cold liquid and choked weakly when his blurred mind was interrupted by a splash erupting next to him. He went under with relief.

      817 words! So, any guesses on who's our boy's saviour? Hope y'all liked it!