Chapter 6

Varian's flat was what Cassandra thought it'd be. Generally tidy, save for the bundles of torn books, curtains and slippers stacked up in a corner. The nurse had explained with a blush that his little raccoon had picked up a habit to throw a tantrum whenever he wasn't home by nine. But it was perfect, his home was perfect. Clean, warm and comfortable. A good choice to bring me here, the officer mused mentally, looking around the little flat in awe.
Varian rushed for a kettle of hot tea as soon as Cassandra had sat herself down, fingering his sofa and petting Ruddiger. He was nervous. He hoped against all hopes that he wouldn't get anything wrong. As the pot of tea brewed and boiled, the young man, besides tapping his fingers impatiently, spotted a huge can of warm beer sitting, and catching his attention at the corner of his counter. Turning his stove off and with a shrug, he swept it into his hands, before tipping the piping tea into two tall mugs. Juggling the many cups of beverages, he staggered out into the living room.

Cassandra was waiting patiently at her seat as he walked out of his kitchen. She had ditched her damp cloak and swaddled herself in a shawl, which was his by the way, but he didn't mind one bit. Placing his tray of drinks on the coffee table, he slid down next to her, and watched in amusement as she sat up straight.
"I'll go with the beer." She hesitantly muttered after eyeing the choices, scooping the raccoon out of her lap. Varian blinked. She reached out to fiddle with the cork of the warm drink, and it popped open with ease, revealing dark, amber liquid. The young woman poured the beer into another mug, pushing her tea slightly aside. Cassandra found Varian staring, and she turned to him "This warms you up better." She smiled, though it seemed strained.
Varian reluctantly pulled out another cup from the cabinet, gesturing for his partner to fill it. Golden liquor swirled up the glass cup, and he watched as the bottle still remained full. Cassandra pulled the can away as the young man's cup started to spit white, and she sat back, flourishing her own mug full. Varian tugged his heavy mug up too. But the officer abruptly pulled back a bit, looking at him closely "You're really okay with drinking beer?" She asked, uncertain, though she tried to hide it "I mean—"
"It's fine." The nurse, despite being curious, assured "Besides, I brought it out."
Cassandra slowly placed her cup down, flushing a bit. Varian stared again, arching a brow in confusion. The young officer looked up, suddenly solemn "We just arrived, you sure you want to have me screaming my head off instead of chatting? I'm warning you, I'm kinda a... lightweight."
      Varian had to, despite himself, stifle a laugh at her last sentence, cupping his mug "Lightweight? Why did you choose beer then? Tea is an option!"
      "You don't get to drink when you're an officer." Cassandra deadpanned, crossing her arms as she pouted.
      Varian still chortled, though he finally understood "Well, I'm no lightweight, I know what I can handle, so I brought it out." He said, grinning.
      "Good for you," the young woman huffed, picking her mug up again "But I'm more than willing to drink today." She brought her cup to her lips, nose scrunching at the unfamiliar smell.
      "You ready then?" Varian smiled, teeth showing as Cassandra tossed her mug slightly, the beer whipping around and leaking a few drops. She swallowed, but looked up with a fierce smirk.
      "You know I am."
      Varian didn't waste a moment to tilt his head proudly over his shoulders, tipping his drink down his throat as if it was water. Cassandra gawked, but slowly downed her mug as well with a wince. The yellow drink burned at her throat, and she doubled forward, gagging and coughing. As the flaming sensation subsided a bit, the young woman leaned back, a hand going to her forehead.
      "How you holding up?" Whispered Varian, laughing, but slightly concerned as he sat her up.
      Cassandra groaned for a moment, and opened her eyes "M fine..."
      Varian smiled, but still gently snagged her mug from her hand, slipping it onto the table with a playful sigh "Now c'mon, let's get you some tea—"
      But he couldn't finish. A cold finger was pressed to his lips, and he could only blink. Cassandra was reaching for her cup, filling it with beer again "What a bliss." She mumbled, holding it up to her lips again.
      Varian gaped for a moment, before beaming. Then his ear felt hot, and saw Cassandra whispering into it "Let's see who's the lightweight." She challenged softly, and daringly. The young man chuckled, filling his empty mug again and then eyed the officer smugly "I'm on."
      He drained his whole cup, again, within seconds. Cassandra took a bit longer, but she managed to do so without choking. The liquor burnt less this time. She wiped her mouth, turning to Varian with half-lidded eyes. Wait... two Varians? The young woman shook her head, leaning into the cushions. Varian noticed her way too pink face, and he sat up, worried now.
      "Now Cass, now's a good time to stop." He said, cautious.
      To his dismay, Cassandra flung her head around, telling him not enough, not yet! And she resumed pouring the amber liquid, hand shaky, but hazel eyes burning.
      "One more round..." she giggled, her laughter hushed and light. Varian looked nervous, and he reached out to grab her shoulders.
      "No... god Cass, you can't have that much! Lightweight, remember?"
      The nurse's beautiful, blue eyes shone with urge, and concern, as they had a stare down with the officer's muted, fern ones. But Cassandra took no notice "Pretty eyes," she murmured "But nope! Still one more round!"
      Her lashes fluttered as she raised her cup, lapping her drink like a black cat. He sighed. Fine, one more round. Swirling his beer around, the young man swallowed it all. What a girl, he thought, as the liquor splashed down his pipe.
      Cassandra was laughing and sagging when he slammed his cup down. He blinked at bit. He was feeling a little woozy himself. Was he having too much? Cassandra was definitely having way, way, way too much. But something, something at the tip of his mind told him he was having fun, she was having fun, and that was all that mattered. The slight dizziness lingered, but he poured them both another cup full once more, winking as the young woman gave a little gasp, lips parting into a lopsided grin. On a count of three, they downed it in one go, almost finishing at the same time, almost.

      Another chapter out! 1141 words! Look, I'm like... thirteen and I don't really know about the whole "Drinking" thing. So forgive me if this chapter is crappy and wrong, but I enjoyed it though! Next chapter spoilers: Some more drink n' fun!