MY TIGER

"—the river split in two

"—the river split in two. How was I supposed to know which one to follow?"

I joined the group as Lyong neared the end of his extensive storytelling of the last twenty-four hours.

My skin flushed from the heat of the fire as I neared it, plopping down on the log that I shared with Mitch and Ella. Mitch sat close enough to rub elbows; Ella perched delicately with a foot of space between us.

Nattaniel was sitting cross-legged on the ground, near enough that he could grab Mitch if she bolted. It boggled me how seriously he took his job, making sure she had zero chance of escaping — even if it would be suicidal.

Lyong was sprawled out on a log next to his friend. Where Lennon T. James sat with his back straight and his elbows leaning against his knees, sturdy and solid and steady, Lyong leaned to the side with his legs crossed at the ankle, languidly draped on the log like it was a settee.

Gino Morton, who was massaging the muscles of his neck with his fingers, leaned his lower back against our log and called, "To be fair, Lyong, most of us knew that we had reached the part where the river converges."

I straightened, trying to picture how it would look on a map. "The River Zonn comes from two different rivers?"

"No. The Kelineen joins it after splitting miles North of the jungle's edge." Lennon T. James sighed, the fire playing with the colour of his eyes.

"Tier-kin! You have grown stronger than you were last time you visited." The chief, To'an, lowered himself to the ground. He clasped his hands around his knees, the gesture making him seem younger.

Lennon T. James shrugged. "I spent last winter in Tenzatu."

"You know, chief here can speak in the Common Tongue, and I'm sure your biographer would appreciate knowing what you're saying so she could provide us with a complete and accurate account of your adventure." Wade Lyong tossed another small fruit in his mouth, his eyebrows rising sharply when we made eye contact.

I opened my mouth to intercede, plead off as not needing to interrupt their conversation, when the adventurer spoke.

"This is one of those rare moments where Lyong is correct." He faced To'an again. "I was in Tenzatu last winter. Before they allowed me to go where I wanted, they asked me to prove myself."

To'an threw his head back in a laugh that startled Elle, who shook the bench as she tried to hide the way she jumped.

"Tier-kin, I am surprised you were able to come back." His accent was thicker than Kita's, who had still not made a reappearance.

I looked for her every time I saw warm brown skin, or a warrior's cloak, or a spear. I needed to return her bow and quiver. The weapon was heavy against as it leaned on my back.

"I hear, Shae Burrower, that you slaughtered a pack of taneapies on the way here." Chief To'an's smile glinted sharply.

Lyong choked on the fruit he had just popped in his mouth. Gino and Mitch both turned to look at me. I shifted awkwardly on the bench.