51; stagedooring

August 7th, 2020, 10:56pm

Dawn Berlitz had a wonderful show, surrounded by those who love her the most. She knew what these boys were doing occupying her, but she didn't dare say a word. It boosted her levels of comfort and it was only when she was alone on stage that she could feel the piercing eyes of Kenny.

Melchior had her so caught up in the moment that she hardly remembered there was an audience she was exposing herself to. It felt as if nothing else existed past Wendla and Melchior and the hayloft.

The show was soon over and Dawn had decided to stagedoor. As she always does. It was routine she hardly had to think about. Paul met her outside, as well as Gary, Ash, and Drew, who typically stagedoored. Paul on the other hand, never greeted fans outside the doors of the theater, so his presence again alerted her to the situation before her. Somewhere in the crowd had to be Kenny and that provoked a nauseating feeling of unease.

The girl retreated, feeling dizzy, next to Ash. Who was closest to her, after Drew. She whispered, "Hi."

The boy excitedly responded, almost shouting, "Hey!! What's up?" He grabbed a playbill to sign and return, smiling. He was half listening to her and half exchanging with a fan who came to see the show.

"I feel faint," Dawn managed.

Ash turned toward her in concern, "Are you okay? Like do you need water?"

Dawn grabbed his hand and held it tight, leaning on him as she greeted those by the gate. "I just need a little support."

"I think you should go inside in the air conditioning."

"No! It's not that!" She shook her head, making her head pound even more. "I have to stagedoor. I've never not stagedoored."

Ash was over stricken with worry surrounding the girl's health. He cradled the girl close to him so he knew she wouldn't fall over. She looked green and he could tell she was losing sense of the ground below her.

By then, mostly everyone had dispersed and all eyes were on Ash and Dawn. Gary, Paul, and there Kenny was. Smirking with a Playbill in hand. She had her eyes closed and hadn't even noticed him yet, trying to shake this feeling of overwhelming anxiousness. The girl was turned hugging Ash so tightly so she felt like she wouldn't lose grip on gravity.

"Hey Ketchum, would you like to take your hands off of my girlfriend?" His resonant voice rang out in the now quiet street way.

Paul snickered, "Who's girlfriend?"

Dawn stiffened in Ash's arms. She had forgotten the sound of his voice. It was the same reflex of nails on a chalkboard.

Paul continued, "Kenny Jones, I asked you a question."

"My girlfriend," the boyish man confirmed. "I've been seeing her since the beginning of Thoroughly Modern Millie, how do you think we booked it together?"

At this, Dawn turned around to face him and bark, "That's not who I am! And who gave you the right to think that I am? You're a jerk, Kenny!"

"Playbill.com has confirmed information on our romance, you can't make this shit up."

"Well, then, I'm publicly 'breaking up' with you. You're the worst human being I've ever met and I wish that you would leave me alone and learn to treat women with respect."

Before Kenny could even open his mouth, Paul rebutted, "I think you heard Troublesome's points. Get lost."

And Gary agreed, "Yeah man, just get out of here."

Kenny sighed, "No."

And almost in an instant there was both a smacking and cracking sound. Kenny was on the ground with Paul's fist in the air. Paul punched the living light out of the man.

Dawn shrieked, "Paul!" Then paused, running up to her roommate to embrace him in a hug, "Thank you."

Paul hardly hugged her back, but did acknowledge that, "Well, that's going to become Playbill news for tomorrow."