xiii.

You wanted him to know that you were the one who saved him that night. But you couldn't say a word. 

But then he met a princess, and the thoughts of whoever saved him that day were erased from his mind. He wanted only that beautiful princess.

Look at her. Look at her.

I saw the prince. I saw death in your eyes as he clutched his bride and they spun around in circles. He smiled at you when he stopped, out of breath, and ordered you. You will dance at my wedding, because your love for me is akin to devotion. 

My nails cut half moons in my palms.

I seethed. How could he? Did he—not know, how much pain every step you took caused you?

Then when you smiled and nodded, my anger spilled over.

"HOW DARE YOU?" I roared at the witch. She did not flinch as I flung the cauldron off, its and the contents spilling out and the mirage breaking. "SHE WAS A CHILD! A CHILD! HOW COULD YOU!"

Our sisters held me back. I struggled against their grip.

"My daughter is going to die. My daughter." That was the first time I saw tears in Father's eyes, after Mother. He sobbed, holding his head in his hands.

But the witch smiled coolly. "There is a way to bring her back, make her a mermaid again."

"W-what?" I calmed down. "What do you mean?"

"I can give you something that would return her back to you, however...I shall need something in return. After all, a deal is a loss on both sides for gain, is it not?"

"What do you want? We'll give anything—gold, silver, jewels—"

She shook her head slowly, and pointed at my hair.