Ambush

When Jett woke up, a pounding headache assaulted her immediately. She groaned and went to her cabinet where she found that she was fresh out of aspirin. She groaned again when she realized where she would have to go to get more. While she loved Sage's company, what she could do away with was the lectures. She worried constantly did not seem to bother making that very clear. With a final sigh, Jett walked to Sage's office where she was most definitely waiting. Jett's headaches where coming almost daily and these visits where pretty much a routine. When Jett walked in, what she saw horrified her. Sage had deep circles under her eyes and there were about 6 coffee cups surrounding her desk.
"Sage! What are you doing? How late did you stay up!" Jett was astonished. She had never seen Sage like this. While she had late nights for sure, it looked as if she had pulled an all nighter.
"I am alright Jett, I've just had a massive breakthrough and felt like if I stopped I might lose it." Jett was furious. Sage was someone who she held dear in her life and to see her like this, no matter the reason, made her angry. Headache long forgotten, Jett said
"After my mission today, you find me and we will talk about this."
All Sage gave was a small nod before Jett stormed out.
When Jett went to mission brief, she was still mad. It was only her and Cyph on this mission because of how well they worked together. Breach was in the process of telling them about the mission, which would be at Split.
"This is a simple recon mission. We are just trying to gain information of the uprising against the Kingdom and try to help them out. If you feel that you are in any way in danger, call for an extract immediately. This mission should last no longer than a week at most. We have info that there will be a rebel meeting at either the Crown coffee shop or at the Scuttle Shack. Dismissed."
While Jett was happy that she was paired with Cyph, she was still worried about Sage. What could be so big to do that to herself? They boarded the ship to Split her and Cyph war they over their plan.
"Find them for me Cypher and let me do the rest". Although Cypher had a mask that covered his entire head, she could tell that he was raising his eyebrows.
"You understand that this is a recon mission and not a kill on sight one right?" Jett just rolled her eyes and looked out the window.

When they arrived, Cypher stilled.
"Be careful Jett, my eyes in this city are blurry at best."
"Relax Cyph, I got this." And with that, she sprinted off into the city with Cypher close on her heels. When they arrived, they could tell something was off. The entire market was empty, with stall doors still swinging open. When Jett turned the corner to go to the coffee shop, a deafening boom echoed through the plaza and Jett was thrown back as a sniper round went staring through her leg. She screamed in pain as Cypher dragged her back around and hissed in her ear.
"Stupid girl! We cannot even move to extract point now with your bad leg! We will most likely be caught and tortured due to you're foolishness. My cameras are picking up over 30 armed personal moving towards our position and only one way out." Jett was devastated. She had failed her mission. And she would die without telling Sage she loved her.