8

This chapter is dedicated to Cheedinmaa, for the tips. ENJOY☺️

           ~KUNLE~

I stared into the box on my bed and discovered my file wasn't in it. I went to the car  and took it from the boot, where I kept it some weeks ago. Entering the house I met my Mum and Dad seated on the couch. Mum was muttering several words to my Dad who had his eyes on his iPad.

"Dear, why don't you want him to have the car. It will be so stressful going around on campus with taxi and bike." She tried convincing him. I stared at her and walked ahead, happy that she was trying to plead on my behalf since Dad said he wouldn't allow me to take any of his cars. According to him I should survive the way others will survive.

"Olakunlemi!!!" My Mum called me in her high pitched voice, making me turn back to the living room.

"Darling, he is new here and should not be allowed to walk around in this harsh environment." She told him as I walked up to them and stood at their front listening attentively to whatever my Dad had to say.

"How is he going to drive the car when he doesn't even know his way? Have you thought about that?" He deadpanned and narrowed his eyes on me.

"He is going to learn, if he doesn't practice he won't learn and google map will be of a great help." She looked at him frowning.

"As if that works everywhere in Nigeria. Stop being too funny." My Dad burst into laughter making my Mum look at me.

" Okay o, what if you ask a driver to follow him for now. He is only going to stay for a week only for the registration."

"I will think about it." He rubs his temple and stood up while my Mum stared at him mouth agape.

"Babasola Iyanda, emi ni I will think about it yen o("emi ni" I am)?" My Mum called my father's full name and mimicks him. Something she only does when she feels cheated.

"Ahn ahn!! Akanke mi, Ife mi(my love), sweetheart mi." My Dad walks back to my Mum and placed his hands on her shoulder while calling her sweet names.

"Oti ya binu niyen o(You have gotten angry so easily)?. He rubs her back and he stares at me with a smile plastered on his face. My Mum on the other hand maintained a straight face.

"Okay he can have the car and a driver." He said and she twisted her face into a smile.

"Now you are talking." She stood up and held his hand. "What do you want for lunch?" She asked as they both worked into the study.

I looked at their intertwined hands and marvelled at the rate in which they love each other and behave like young lovers on honeymoon.

***

I and Akorede whom I have shared a close bond with since the first day I met, carried our bags to the doorstep of a room. He fixed the key into the door and with a click it was opened.

We sat down on the chair to relax from the long journey before proceeding to open the windows. I went into the kitchen to get a cup of water and was greeted by the houseflies and cockroaches that danced around on the plates. Feeling nauseated, I rushed out of the kitchen back to the room.

"I thought you said you wanted a cup of water?" Akorede asked me as he dusted the few furniture with the broom he was holding.

"Sure I did but that place in God damn dirty." I emphasized on the word dirty. "Your friend that owns this place must surely be a pig." I stared around the house as I sighted several pieces of papers "He will come back today to get those dishes done." I continued.

"We are going to do it?" Akorede answered almost immediately.

"Why?" I asked disgusted, picturing myself touching those God forsaken dishes.

"Because he travelled already. He was a predegree student but he has gotten admission like us."

"So shouldn't he be here for his registration?" I asked feeling more irritated.

"He has done it already, he won't be coming back until we resume properly." He resumes his cleaning.

"Oh okay." I walked into the bathroom feeling pressed but I rushed out again because of the sight of maggot in a toilet that had been left unflushed by its owner.

"And you said this guy is going to be our roommate." I asked hoping he would answer  no.

"Yes he is going to be, but not in this apartment. We are going in search of somewhere new."

I shook my head and walked out of the room to meet my driver. Dad has allowed his best driver to follow me after instructing him on what and what not to do. On our way to the school, I had asked several questions about the location while trying to get myself accustomed to the directions and everything will not be a problem since I and Akorede will be together.

I went back into the room when Akorede was done cleaning and joined him in the kitchen and watched him washing the plates.

"You know, I see no reason why we should be doing this." I walked towards him and folded the sleeves of my shirt. I felt guilty for not helping him to clean the room and now he has started washing the plates our host left behind.

"Who will do it if we don't?" He asked me and I ignored him, feeling pissed off at the rate at which cockroaches ran around the kitchen. The guy must be so dirty, I muttered  as I tried killing the cockroach that leaped towards me.

***

I and Akorede got to school and walked straight to the office of the man my Dad had informed about our registration. The man eagerly stopped what he was doing and handed us to a younger colleague who helped us around with our registration and by the noon of the following day, we were already done with everything we had to do.

Thereafter, I and Akorede were taking to an hostel where we checked and loved. We paid for the place and prepared for our journey back home the following day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys thanks for reading. I so much appreciate the love so far, It means a lot than you think.

Don't forget to tell me what you think about this chapter and to vote as well.

You can also be of help by sharing.