Chapter Three

September 28
Sandgem Town

"You mean he's... No, he can't-" Lucas froze as he felt something rub his cheek. With wide eyes, he slowly turned his head, finding his father standing there. "Wh-what? How are you-"

He started awake as something rammed into his chest. Hard.

He was gasping for breath and his hands were trembling. He quickly tried to calm down, only to panic as a small green creature jumped up into his lap and peered at him with large black eyes.

"Gah!" Without thinking the teen threw the creature off and hurried out of his bed. He got no more than two steps before he tripped on something and crashed to the ground. "Oww..." He gripped his ankle and looked back, finding a small green turtle peering at him from on top of his bed. The contents of his backpack were scattered all over the ground; it had been the object he had tripped on earlier.

"Turt?" The turtle questioned, looking at him. It ran to the edge of the bed and glanced down, as if wary about leaping down onto the ground. It blinked again at him, frowning. "Turtwig!"

Lucas could only stare at the creature. When did it even get inside his room? The door was locked, so there was no way it could've come in through there...

A red-and-white object caught his eye. A Poké Ball, opened and facing the bed. Slowly Lucas reached for it and faced the turtle. "You're... Turtwig, right? One of the Starter Pokémon?"

"Wig! Turtwig!" Turtwig stepped back and smiled, leaping into the air happily.

"Alright, alright, calm down." Lucas stood up. "So I suppose you're also the Pokémon that was in the Poké Ball I received yesterday." He picked Turtwig up and looked at it. "You don't seem that strong..."

"Turt!" The turtle frowned and wiggled, trying to free itself from Lucas's hands.

"Quit moving!" Lucas sighed and set it back down onto his bed. "You woke me up. Why? And how'd you even get out of your Poké Ball?"

Turtwig opened its mouth to reply in its own language, but someone knocked on the door before it could.

"Lucas?" It was Professor Rowan. "What are you doing in there?"

Lucas froze, before hurrying to put everything into his bag. "Nothing, Professor! I'll be out in a second!" He sighed and turned to his Turtwig. "And you..." He held up the Poké Ball, ready to recall the Pokémon.

"Tur-!" The tiny turtle was gone in a flash of light seconds later.

Lucas grabbed his beret and opened the door, finding Professor Rowan standing just outside.

"What was going on?" The man asked, his arms crossed. He looked almost as intimidating as he did yesterday with Lucas and Barry.

"Nothing!" Lucas replied quickly. I can't tell him that I was talking to a Turtwig... He'll think I'm crazy! He slid past the Professor and hurried down the staircase, only to pause. "Hey, where's Barry?"

A man turned around from a table he was eating at and looked at Lucas. "He ran out earlier, said that he couldn't wait to explore Sinnoh." He sighed. "He left before we could even give him his Pokédex..."

"Oh." That sounds just like him.... Lucas nodded slowly and began to turn around, when the man spoke up again.

"Oh, and today is your birthday, correct?"

Lucas flinched. "Yes... what of it?"

"Nothing. My daughter is over at our home, and has a present to give you." He took another bite of his breakfast.